Everyday Tidbits...

Fall, where are you? I get teasers of cooler weather, but you haven't arrived yet.

Friday, December 28, 2007

A Time to Dance...Review

About the book:
Life seems like it can't get any better for Alex and Jane Keane--a temple marriage, two adorable children and another one on the way, a promising career, and a beautiful home.

Then, within a few short days, their safe and happy lives are turned upside down when they learn that their young son, Barrett, has a life-threatening illness. And as if that were not enough, the revelation that Alex has a half-brother threatens to tear lives and families apart.

As Jane's faith falters, an opportunity to dance with Alex in a stake floorshow becomes the catalyst for a renewal of their relationship and a gentle nudge back to her faith in God.

Typical Stansfield. She always tries to take real life situations, e.g., family dysfunction and drama (adultery, abuse, illegitimacy, consequences, etc.) and set it in an eternal Mormon (emphasis on eternal) setting, to show that Mormons have the same issues as everyone else. Well, Mormons do have these issues, but in these books there is always a perfect person of perfect faith who is allied with a person whose faith wavers because of trauma or drama. The faithful person (whose faith is perfect because they've overcome their own issues) counsels the wavering person about faith and God and Jesus Christ and the Atonement, and always sticks by them. Gospel discussions and counseling always reassure the reader that the necessary epiphany will come to the person of wavering faith and all will be well in the end.

In this case, if you have lost a family member to cancer, lost a parent, or spent time with your child in a NICU, don't read it. I've experienced all three. Because of that, I have a hard time reading about sick children and someone losing their father. I cried most of the way through the stupid thing, because I'd experienced some of these situations. Stansfield does have a great way of playing with your emotions and tugging at the heartstrings. She's a master at making you connect with at least one character and, therefore, you want to know what happens, so you continue reading the series. And, so I do.

I really enjoyed her Hamilton/Gables of Legacy series and actually have all of them and have reread them. Most of her other books I have simply borrowed or bought them, read them and sold them on half.com.

This one was ok. I'll probably read the next two, just so I can see what happens.

Read 12/07

6 comments:

  1. I love Anita Stansfield. Anything she writes. She is my romantic reading indulgence. I am on the last book in this series right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, for the most part, I've always liked her too. But, I guess this one just showed me that the plots and ideas are often so similar, and the faithful ones are always a little too perfect for me! But, I suppose that could be said for most romance novels, LDS or otherwise! Romance novels aren't supposed to necessarily be completely believable.

    I'm glad I didn't buy it, and I've reserved the next one in this series at the library, as well as the first one from the Barringon Saga (I think that's what it's called).

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a great way of describing your thoughts. Thanks for this review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have liked a lot of her novels in the past, but I couldn't finish A Timeless Waltz and haven't bothered with the sequels to it. It was so hard to get through and slow moving. I haven't read any of her novels in the past 2 years or so. I think I like the ones in her mid-career the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like I said in the review, I have all the Hamilton ones and the Gables of Legacy series. I enjoyed those and I've liked rereading them. (Even if I think that Michael and Emily Hamilton are too good to be true!) If it weren't for the fact that I can get these others at the library, I probably wouldn't read them. When the Hamilton series came out, we lived in California and you couldn't get LDS books at the library there. I haven't liked her others well enough to purchase them, or if I have bought them, I've sold them again after reading them. This dancing series is interesting. I just haven't really connected with it, but I'm still curious as to where she takes it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm waiting for another book review . . . :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Let me know what you thought of a particular book. If this is your first time visiting, tell how you found me. Also, please have your email address enabled in your profile. It makes it a lot easier for me to respond to comments!

If you are here simply to spam or leave a link to some obscure place where you sell things, don't bother. Your comment will be deleted.

While I appreciate awards, I no longer accept them, but thank you for thinking of me. Your comments are reward enough!