Drenched in Light...Review

About the book:
In Dell's writing, Julia sees luminous sparks of hope. But as she fights to forge a brighter future for one disadvantaged student, she is drawn into startling undercurrents of conflict and denial within the academy. Only when she is tested in ways she never could have imagined does she begin to discover where real meaning and fulfillment lie - and realize that even though her life has seemed off course, she's been on the right path all along.

I think that this book is my favorite Wingate book so far. I simply couldn't put it down. The story follows Julia, a former ballet dancer whose career is cut short due to a life-threatening eating disorder. After she "recovers" she becomes a guidance counselor at a middle school and befriends Dell Jordan, who is living with Karen and James from The Language of the Sycamores and struggling to fit in at her elite arts school.

The format is the same as Wingate's previous books: homespun wisdom and advice, a coming-of-age and finding your place in the world, and family ties. As Grandma Rose communicated with Kate through the written journal, Dell communicates with Julia by writing essays. As Dell finds her voice, so does Julia.

Kate and Ben make an appearance in the novel, as does the engaging Keilor Bradford.

I enjoyed Julia's voice. I could relate to her struggles with her family as their love and concern grew to smothering and stifling. The story comes together, predictably again, at the end. I read it in a day. It was compelling enough that, predictable or not, I simply had to find out what happened.

A delightful, insightful read.

Thanks to my local library for having a copy I could borrow.  You can purchase your own copy here.

Read 5/08

* * * *
4/5 Stars


Comments