A Passion Denied...Review

About the book:
Young Elizabeth O'Connor is the little sister John Brady always longed for. But she wants much more than that from her spiritual mentor. As she blossoms into a beautiful young woman intent on loving John, he must push back the very real attraction he feels for her. His past just won't let him go there. Unfortunately, Lizzie won't let him go anywhere else--until she discovers he is not all that he seems. Can true love survive such revelations?

The third book of The Daughters of Boston series. This one continues the O'Connor family saga with Elizabeth's story. I loved it.

Elizabeth, younger sister to Faith and Charity was always the quiet bookworm. When her brother-in-law Collin goes into the printing business with his best friend, Elizabeth falls hard for John Brady. Elizabeth is the younger sister Brady never had, and they become good friends as Brady mentors Lizzie spiritually. But, as she grows up and becomes a beautiful, Godly young woman, Brady has a difficult time reconciling his feelings for her. When Brady's past comes between them, Lizzie wonders if she'll ever marry the man she loves.

The entire O'Connor family returns in this novel. Faith and Charity are happily married to Collin and Mitch, and Charity is expecting, but hasn't abandoned some of her old tricks. Marcy and Patrick have their own crisis of faith and trust in their marriage.

One of the things I have enjoyed about this series is that these characters are real. They struggle with their passions, they struggle with their faith, and they struggle in their relationships with each other. Julie Lessman has also explored the issue of pride and its downfall, and in a remarkable way.

This one is a bit darker with the themes explored in regards to Brady's past. The passions are stronger and more descriptive, especially in regards to marriage relations. But, the point is clear: passion without marriage, and marriage without God, are weak imitations.

Thanks to First Wild Card and Revell Publishing for the opportunity to review this. You can read the first chapter here. You can find out more about Julie Lessman here. You can purchase your own copy here.

Read 5/09

* * * *
4/5 Stars

Comments

  1. Nice review Holly. I've heard nothing but good things about Julie's books. I'm thinking about getting the series for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a wonderful review. I have only made it through the first chapter and I'm wondering if reading the first two books might help. I feel a little uncomfortable with the characters and situation. You seem to be right at home with them. I'm going to link up to your review, if that's okay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dar: I really enjoyed it. I think you would too. I've loaned mine to my sister and then my mother. I'm waiting to get them back!

    Bookfool: Link away! I think that while you could read this book as a stand alone, it really is part of a series. Elizabeth is in all the books and Brady arrives in book 2. There is so much back history and character development in the other books, especially in regards to the older sisters and their husbands. Each book picks up where the last one ends. I think that reading them in order, if you can, would make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Holly. Thanks for commenting on my blog. It appears that we're neighbors of a sort - you live in Idaho and I live in Utah.

    This series sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful review. That's what has drawn me to this series as well...the characters are real and deal with tough issues.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked Charity's story best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, that shirt is fun-ny!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment