The Girl Who Chased the Moon...Review

About the book:
Emily Benedict came to Mullaby, North Carolina, hoping to solve at least some of the riddles surrounding her mother’s life. But the moment Emily enters the house where her mother grew up and meets the grandfather she never knew, she realizes that mysteries aren’t solved in Mullaby, they’re a way of life: Here are rooms where the wallpaper changes to suit your mood. Unexplained lights skip across the yard at midnight. And a neighbor, Julia Winterson, bakes hope in the form of cakes, offering them to satisfy the town’s sweet tooth—but also in the hope of rekindling a love she fears might be lost forever. Can a hummingbird cake really bring back a lost love? Is there really a ghost dancing in Emily’s backyard? The answers are never what you expect. But in this town of lovable misfits, the unexpected fits right in.

As Emily comes to Mullaby for the first time, she discovers her unknown grandfather and a town full of secrets. As some of those secrets are revealed and as Emily comes to understand her roots, she finds more than she ever hoped she could: friendship and family and love.

These are characters who grow on you. I loved Emily. I loved Julia. The descriptions are so vibrant and vivid: I could just picture the magical cake scents that would drift out of Julia's window as she baked. In my mind, they sparkled and left a trail, just like fairy dust. I'd have a hard time not following them back to their origin, too! And, I want wallpaper that changes with my moods.

Enchanting is an adjective that I have used to describe each Sarah Addison Allen book, and this one is no different. Charming, delightful, captivating, and endearing all come to mind as well. I love that each of her books has a mystical aspect, and I love that it is so easy to accept those magical elements as normal!

Here, just as in Garden Spells and The Sugar Queen, we find that ordinary people possess extraordinary gifts, and that honesty in our relationships is something to treasure.

Thanks to my local library for having a copy I could borrow!  You can purchase your own copy here.

Read 3/10

* * * *
4/5 Stars


Comments

  1. I'm dying to get my hands on a copy of this book! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got this one from the library. I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just adored this book. I love the magical elements in her books as well - that's what makes them so charming.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment