Everyday Tidbits...

It's hot. I'm melting. Is summer over yet?

Friday, April 30, 2010

The Thorn...Review

About the book:
Three tribes are at war on the planet Gan, unaware that the sign of Christ’s birth on an unknown world--Earth--is about to appear in the heavens. During a bloody skirmish with Gideonite troops, Jonathan of Daniel spares Pekah, a young enemy soldier, gaining his trust forever. These two distant brothers from estranged tribes covenant with each other to end the war being waged by a self-proclaimed emperor, and soon discover the intentions of a far more dangerous foe named Rezon--a sinister general bent on ruling those he can bring into subjection and destroying all others. In the end, Pekah’s selfless bravery is the means by which all the tribes are united. But there are dissenters, and Rezon escapes a well-deserved fate. When the promised heavenly signs appear, will there be peace at last, or will the malefactors once again threaten the safety of them all?

I was not sure what to expect with this book when I received it and when I read through the glossary and cast of characters I was afraid there would be too many people to keep straight. I'm so glad to say that I was wrong about that. The premise is fascinating: that there are other people on other worlds who are also God's children and for whom Jesus Christ is their Savior. Much like those people of the scriptures, these people are also waiting for the Savior's birth.

The story flows well with excellent imagery and descriptions, as well as likeable characters. Faith and loyalty play a strong role as good triumphs over evil.

I was trying to explain the premise to my husband and while it's fictional, it has elements of science fiction and fantasy, but isn't a novel from either of those genres. I've seen it compared to Orson Scott Card and Narnia and I can agree with those comparisons. Those who enjoy scripture stories will enjoy this book with its battles and tribes, romance, prophecy and miracles. I look forward to the next one in the trilogy.

Thanks to Tristi Pinkston of Valor Publishing Group for the opportunity to preview this book. You can learn more about Daron D. Fraley here. You can purchase your own copy here and here. To find out what other readers have said about this book, check out the other tour stops here.

Read 4/10

* * * *
4/5 Stars


1 comment:

Daron D. Fraley said...

Holly,

Thank you very much for your review! I would like to link back to it, if you don't mind. If you go to my website, and click on REVIEWS in my menu bar you can see what I have been doing with them. Let me know if what you see is acceptable. Thanks!

My website is http://www.daronfraley.com