Everyday Tidbits...

Be Kind. Do Good. Love is a Verb.

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Stone Traveler...Review

About the book:
Sixteen-year-old Tag can’t believe he’s in this much trouble. He’s not actually a member of the gang known as the Primes — all he did was spray paint some graffiti that caught their attention. In all honesty, ever since his dad and brother left, Tag just wants to be alone. And it’s certainly not his fault that the Primes nearly beat up his goofy cousin, Ethan. But his mom is furious about these gang-related activities and insists that Tag spend the whole summer at his grandpa’s lakeside cabin, which is not Tag’s idea of a good time. So he does what any self-respecting teenager would do: run away. But he doesn’t get far before he encounters three strange men carrying an even stranger object — a stone that glows with radiant light as bright as a thousand sparklers. 

Tag doesn’t steal the stone — not exactly. He feels like he is supposed to take it. But he doesn’t expect the stone to transport him through space and time to a place he’s never seen before — a place that looks an awful lot like the ancient lands described in the Book of Mormon. And he definitely doesn’t expect to join Sabirah, the entrancing daughter of Samuel the Lamanite, on a quest to rescue her father and brother from the evil King Jacob. And he absolutely doesn’t expect to be captured by Jacob’s minions and prepared as a sacrifice to the evil idol of the city. But just as Tag faces his death, a terrible storm begins to break, and the ground cracks into jagged pieces. And he’s not sure which event will impact his life more: his captor’s knife coming at his body, the violent tempest sweeping the land . . . or the men who later appear, glowing even more brightly than the traveler’s stone.




Tag is a frustrated teenage boy rebelling in his own, quiet ways. He has unanswered questions about his past and his missing father and brother. After a misunderstanding about his behavior, he's sent to spend the summer with his grandfather and annoying cousin. A seemingly chance encounter with three men sends him off on an adventure that will change his life.

I thoroughly enjoyed this story. I couldn't wait to get back to it each time I had to set it aside. Tag is a great, likeable kid. His experiences with Sabirah and her people stretch and change him and I appreciated how he came to know who he was and his worth as a person.

I loved how Kathi brought the Book of Mormon experience to life, especially as it related to the crucifixion of Jesus Christ and his subsequent visit to the Americas as portrayed in 3 Nephi in the Book of Mormon. Honestly, I was moved to tears at one point.

While not a sequel to Kathi's book The Forgotten Warrior, this book is part of the same series. However, all the loose ends are tied up and everything is resolved at the end of the book. The target audience is YA, but I think it appeals to adults and teens alike.

An enthralling story and one I can easily recommend.

Thanks to Kathi for sending me a copy of her book. You can find out more about Kathi Oram Peterson here and on her blog. You can purchase your own copy here and here.  Check out other tour stops and reviews here.

----------------------------------------------
Kathi is hosting The Stone Traveler - Blog Tour Contest
When: Weekdays in September.
Important Rule: Leave a comment on "every" site on the tour.

Monday through Friday commenter names will be collected from the blog tour. On Saturday a name will be drawn to win a prize that includes a very cuddly toy jaguar; a stone necklace; and chocolates with the flavor of South America —real cacao and chili.

The winner will be announced on the following Monday. The GRAND prize for The Stone Traveler blog tour will be a (drumroll, please) Kindle. The cutoff to be eligible is midnight on September 30th. The winner will be announced October 4th.

If you find the tour midway through and want to participate, you can still go back and comment on every blog simply by going to www.kathiswritingnook.com. Starting in September the sidebar will list each stop on the tour as they are posted, making it very easy to click to any of the sites and leave a comment. AND even if you’ve already won one of the weekly drawings, your name will still go in the jar for the Kindle.

Read 8/10

* * * * *
5/5 Stars

35 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting, especially with the Book of Mormon connection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds very interesting. I really enjoy books that combine the book of mormon together with fiction. I am starting this book today!! YAY!!!
    Meagan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathi's novel looks so great! I think it's interesting how the Book of Mormon is connected because I don't know too much about it. I'm looking forward to an entertaining read and learning something new! Thanks for the review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathi's persistence is sure to pay off. I think I'm going to have to purchase her book. Nice review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I can't imagine the amount of research and time it takes to write something like this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a very intriguing book. Love the book trailer and the book cover. They both grab your attention so that you want to know more.

    Mason
    Thoughts in Progress

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool. Sounds like an awesome read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well that was a surprise. I've never read a Book of Mormon tie-in book. This review tour could be very interesting, and I hope it is.

    Holly, you say Tag stretched, changed, and came to know his worth as a person. How was that handled? It's so easy for a book to sound preachy, but simply amazing when it comes naturally through the story and characters.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holly, I'm also the wife of one (thank goodness:) ) and the mother of two. And how fun that you have a cooking blog. My husband and I have been dabbling in MASTERING THE ART OF FRENCH COOKING, but I'm afraid we've had a few fiascos.

    Thanks for your review. I'll be posting my own later this month!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow! That's really cool. That books grabs your imagination at once!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm going to have to buy this one. It sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Holly, I posted my review on this book today. I didn't read your review until after I posted mine. It was fun to see how we gleaned many of the same thoughts from this book. I feel like Kathi did an amazing job with this book. Thanks for your great review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've read other books of hers and i just loved them they were amazing!!! This book sounds really great and i'm excited to read it i just got it today.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so excited to read this book i've loved all the other books. I just got this one so i'm really looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved the Stone Traveler! It is definitely worth getting and reading and rereading! I'm haven't been disappointed yet with one of Kathi Oram Peterson's books!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the cover of The Stone Traveler. It is one you want to keep on the coffee table for decoration when you have read it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Kathi! This is my first time on your site and I love the journey contest idea. Great book trailer too. My friend, Lori Nawyn, sent me your way. She was in my critique group and I am also writing a B of M fiction novel.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm joining the journey a little late, but better late than never, right???

    This book sounds amazing and I'm loving the journey! I'm off to my next stop!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Joining the contest a little late, but count me in! Love your blog, by the way! I'm a follower!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The fact that you kept wanting to get back to the book speaks volumes. (No pun intended!)

    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really liked this one. Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really enjoyed The Stone Traveler. Thanks for posting your thoughts about it, too. =)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for the review, it looks like a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for the review! Interesting story.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This sounds like a great read. Love good character development and ancient cultures.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Another late bloomer here. What a great review. I'm glad you had a connection with Tag - it's a good sign, probably meaning the rest of will too.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This will be the first time I've read one of Kathi's books. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  28. enjoyed the review and can't wait to read the book:)

    bchild5@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. I haven't read The Forgotten Warrior yet, but it sounds like I'll enjoy this one either way. Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  30. The book was so real and entertaining. Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great review! Can't wait to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a great idea for a blog tour! Sure makes me want to read the book! Sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm trying to leave a comment but, for some reason, strange things are happening. But I shall try again. I am totally impressed with the work you have done to promote "The Stone Traveler" and after reading your blog, I want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hey, great blog. Great review. I came here by way of Kathi Oram Peterson's blog.

    ReplyDelete