Books I Grew Up With

Christy at Southern Sassy Girl had a post like this a few days ago and it got me thinking of my own favorite childhood books.  I did a similar post last year about how I developed my love of reading.  I have loved books from birth.  I can't remember a time where I didn't love reading or didn't have a lot of books around.  We got books in our Christmas stockings and in our Easter baskets.  We got books for good behavior or special occasions. 

As a very small girl, I loved the Little Golden Book, Little Mommy.  I had it memorized before I could read.  It was out of print for many years and the only copy I had was a tattered, incomplete version.  Imagine my surprise a couple of years ago, when I found that it was reprinted!

These are books I checked out of the library over and over again.  (These will definitely date me.)


A Room for Cathy, by Catherine Wooley (the whole series)  I loved these as a girl.  Cathy was the oldest sister and so was I.  She always wanted to be a grown-up and she had an annoying little sister.

Don't Call Me Katie Rose, by Lenora Mattingly Weber.  I loved Katie Rose and I could understand her frustrations.
















Fifteen, by Beverly Cleary.  I loved Jane.  Stan was just the perfect hero!  The Luckiest Girl was one of my other Cleary favorites. 

Double Date, Double Feature, and Double Wedding, by Rosamond Du Jardin.  I loved Pam and Penny.  I loved the descriptions of their dance dresses and dates!

Favorite books I had at home, to name a very few:










The Little House on the Prairie series by Laura Ingalls Wilder.  Mine were the yellow books!

Heidi by Johanna Spyri and Heidi Grows Up and Heidi's Children by Charles Tritten.  I adored Heidi, and when I discovered the two "sequels" I was thrilled.  I enjoyed them just as much.  I loved seeing Heidi and Peter get married!

 













The Happy Hollisters and The Bobbsey Twins.  I had them all. I read them all over and over again. I can't quite part with them yet!  I wish my boys would like them, but they don't.
















Little Women, by Lousia May Alcott.  I can't imagine any girl not liking Little Women.  I have three sisters and I adore books, so I completely related to Jo!

Nancy Drew, by Carolyn Keene. I had them all.  One of my best friends and I would call each other Nancy and George, and we'd even write letters in code, like Nancy did in one of her books.  I gave away all my Nancy Drew books to my girlfriend's daughter, because I don't have a daughter of my own. 














Piper to the Clan and The Iron Peacock, by Mary Stetson Clarke.  I still have all of her books, not just these two.  I still read them.  Loved the historical aspect, but loved Joanna and Ross too.

What about you?  What books did you grow up reading?

Comments

  1. I recognize quite a few of these! I also read The Five Little Peppers and How They Grew and The Trolley Car Family. The Little House books were huge in making me the reader I am today! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED the "Little Mommy" book! Is it really still in print? May need to get a copy for my daughter!

    I also loved the Little House on the Prairie series.

    Other favorites would be any of the books by Eric Wilson and Kit Pearson books were good, too, especially "Momma's gonna buy me a Mockingbird".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm all good books, except I've never heard of Mary Stetson Clarke or her books. Might need check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only know a handful of these but seeing the covers makes me feel all nostalgic for younger simpler reading days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rosamonde du Jardin---I haven't heard that author's name in about 40 years. Then you might be familiar with Betty Cavanna and Maureen Daly?
    Thanks for the memories!
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment