The House on Malcolm Street...Review

About the book:
When tragedy steals her future, can Leah learn to trust again?

It is the autumn of 1920, and Leah Breckenridge is desperate to find a way to provide for her young daughter. After losing her husband and infant son, she is angry at God and fearful about the days ahead. Finding refuge in a boardinghouse run by her late husband's aunt, Leah begins the slow process of mending her heart.

Is it the people who surround her--or perhaps this very house--that reach into her heart with healing? As Leah finds peace tending to an abandoned garden, can she find a way to trust God with her future?

I thought this would be a romance, but it wasn't. This is a story about grief and loss, forgiveness and healing.    Leah is haunted by nightmares and fresh grief.  Josiah is immersed in his own pain.  Both are struggling with their faith in God.  Aunt Marigold is always strong and supporting and little Eliza has faith enough for all.

The chapters are first person, which I normally don't like, and they alternate between Leah's and Josiah's perspectives.  It shouldn't work but, here, it does.  While not a happy novel, the story is mildly compelling, although there is nothing that makes it stand out as special.  I liked it, I didn't love it.  It was thought-provoking, but I wish I liked it more.  Still, it's Christian fiction, and is a story that will appeal to many.

Thanks to Donna Hausler of Baker Publishing for the opportunity to review this book.  You can learn more about Leisha Kelly here.  You can purchase your own copy here.

Read 9/10

* *
2/5 Stars


Comments

  1. I love the cover of The House on Malcolm Street, as well as the synopsis. Sounds like something I'd like.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit I had a hard time reading this. I didnt really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The story sounds good but it sounds like it didn't deliver...bummer for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a new follower! I found you from The Crazy Life of a Bookaholic Mom! This book just went on my TBR list! It sounds pretty good!

    I have an award for you over at my blog!
    http://booklovingmommy.blogspot.com/2010/10/life-is-good-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one I've had my eye on. Glad to see a review - and a good one at that! Thanks for sharing, and thanks for visiting my Mailbox on Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops!

    When I said a “more in-depth review” I meant more in-depth compared to the short comment I had made.

    Sorry if that was unclear.

    -Tracy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment