The Ice Cream Theory...Review

About the book:
The Theory was hatched when Steff Deschenes was trying to make sense of her first heartbreak.  In the midst of that grief, she realized that, in the same way humans have ice-cream preferences, humans have people preferences. Like ice cream flavors, social preferences shift based on age, experience, even mood. There are exotic flavors that one craves when feeling daring, comforting flavors to fall back on, flavors long-enjoyed that eventually wear out their welcome, and those unique flavors that require an acquired taste. Like people, no ice cream flavor is perfect every single time...and it is in this realization that the crux of Deschenes’s theory lies.

Deschenes neatly brings together anecdotes from her own adventures with broader-reaching social commentary to help others recognize the wisdom and joy inherent in a beloved dessert.


With its cheeky self-help slant, The Ice Cream Theory is an endearing and light-hearted addition to any bookshelf.  It's a must read for anyone bruised by life's tough lessons and in need of a cheerful pick me up!


I wasn't quite sure what to expect from a book like this.  Is it a memoir? Is it a self-help book?  It's simply a book of humor?  It's all of the above.  I love the idea of the Ice Cream Theory.  That just as we all have taste preferences for ice cream, we have people preferences for humans.  Some people you click with and some you don't.  Sometimes those preferences change with time and experience, sometimes they don't. 

Steff goes through different flavors and shares anecdotes and experiences with friends and people for each one.  It's a humorous and enlightening read about friendship.  Rather than trying to put myself and those around me into her flavors, I found myself assigning my own.  Which is what you should do.

I love ice cream.  I always have. I worked at Swensen's when I was in high school and I think I tried every ice cream flavor they had and nearly every topping/ice cream combination they had.  Funny how vanilla with hot fudge is still my favorite.  Simple, elegant and yummy.  My favorite flavor of ice cream is licorice.  Not many places have it.  Sub Zero does and it's phenomenal.  But, I digress.

Simply put, this is a fun book.  You'll laugh, you'll ponder and you'll come away wanting some ice cream!

Thanks to the author for the opportunity to review this book.  You can learn more about Steff Deschenes and The Ice Cream Theory here.  You can purchase your own copy here.

Read 10/10

* * *
4/5 Stars

Comments

  1. Great review! Sounds like a really fun book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a great read..how can it be anything but cheerful..it's ice cream! Licorice is a flavor of ice cream I have never seen but it does sound good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have this one to review but have not had the opportunity yet - yours is a wonderful review! I'm looking forward to reading the book!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment