Doctor Who: The Glamour Chase...Review

About the book:
An archaeological dig in 1936 unearths relics of another time...and, as the Doctor and Amy realise, another place. Another planet.

But if Enola Porter, noted adventuress, has really found evidence of an alien civilization, how come she isn't famous? Why has Rory never heard of her? Added to that, since Amy's been traveling with him for a while now, why does she now think the Doctor is from Mars?

As the ancient spaceship reactivates, the Doctor discovers that nothing and no one can be trusted. The things that seem most real could actually be literal fabrications--and very deadly indeed.

Who can the Doctor believe when no one is what they seem?  And how can he defeat an enemy who can bend matter itself to their will?  For the Doctor, Amy and Rory--and all of humanity--the buried secrets of the past are very much a threat to the present.

A thrilling, all-new adventure featuring the Doctor, Amy Rory, as played by Matt Smith, Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill in the spectacular hit series from BBC Television.

I love Doctor Who.  And while I wasn't too sure at first, I love Matt Smith's Doctor.  He owns the role now and it works.  I love the show and I enjoy reading the tie-in novels.

Rory features prominently here and it was so nice to see him get some credit for being bright.  I'm afraid that he will end up being the tin dog of the series and I like him too much for that to happen.  Seeing him take more of a strong role here was refreshing.

This one sounded interesting and, for the most part, it was.  The aliens who need rescuing are a fascinating breed and would make for interesting graphics were this a televised episode. 

Sometimes the novels absolutely capture the Doctor's voice and sometimes they don't.  This one tried too hard to capture Matt Smith's Doctor and it was easier for me to picture David Tennant's Doctor speaking the dialogue. 

The story wasn't the easiest to follow and I found myself skimming some sections, but it was a light diversion while waiting for the Christmas special!

Personal copy.  You can purchase your own here.

Read 12/10

* *
2/5 Stars

Comments

  1. great review. I've never read any of the doctor who books, but I do so love the doctor. I might have to buy some. Thanks

    Laura Kay
    www.anovelreview.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment