Everyday Tidbits...

Fall, where are you? I get teasers of cooler weather, but you haven't arrived yet.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Upside of Down...Review

About the book:
"Hmmm," the doctor muttered.
Natalie wrinkled her forehead, almost afraid to ask, and said, "What does that mean?"
"You do know you're pregnant, right?"
Her breath caught in her throat. "Excuse me?"
"You're pregnant."
Her heartbeat thundered in her ears. "I'm what?"

Natalie Drake certainly has her hands full raising a large family, dealing with her difficult mother, and maintaining a relationship with her rebellious teenager. Just when things seem to be going smoothly, she finds out another unexpected surprise--she's going to have a baby. Faced with so many challenges, Natalie must learn to trust in a plan that isn't what she imagined and discover that every situation has an upside.

Rebecca Talley once again carefully crafts together a touching and heartfelt story that is sure to inspire you. With true-to-life characters and situations, The Upside of Down will reignite your faith and remind you of the importance of family.

While I thought it was a bit extreme on the Mormon stereotypes, this was an enjoyable book.  I appreciated that while Natalie had strong desires to do what was right, she also had the inadequacies and doubts that plague so many of us.  Her inability to accept her daughter's diagnosis, and her subsequent struggles to accept the Lord's plan for her life were all very believable.  Natalie finally learns that no matter how strong you feel, you always need to turn to God for strength and help.

The author has a young son who has Down Syndrome and she writes from experience.  I read the book in a day.  And there was much I could relate to.

I remember leaving the hospital without my baby. My son was born with a congenital heart defect that required open-heart surgery to save his life.  I remember the fear of the unknown regarding his health.  I remember the prayers offered by us and for us on his behalf as well as for me and my husband.  I remember thinking that I didn't have enough faith to get through the experience and I remember realizing that my Heavenly Father would never leave me to walk alone.

An enjoyable, thought-provoking read and one I can easily recommend.

Thanks to Rebecca for sending me her novel to review.  You can learn more about Rebecca Talley here and here. You can purchase your own copy here.

Read 1/11

* * * *
4/5 Stars

2 comments:

  1. Laura,

    Cedar Fort published it, but I know Seagull Books has it so I would think Deseret does too.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Let me know what you thought of a particular book. If this is your first time visiting, tell how you found me. Also, please have your email address enabled in your profile. It makes it a lot easier for me to respond to comments!

If you are here simply to spam or leave a link to some obscure place where you sell things, don't bother. Your comment will be deleted.

While I appreciate awards, I no longer accept them, but thank you for thinking of me. Your comments are reward enough!