The Lost Girls...Review

About the book:
With their thirtieth birthdays looming, Jen, Holly, and Amanda are feeling the pressure to hit certain milestones—score the big promotion, find a soul mate, have 2.2 kids. Instead, they make a pact to quit their jobs, leave behind everything familiar, and embark on a yearlong round-the-world search for inspiration and direction.

Traveling 60,000 miles across four continents, Jen, Holly, and Amanda push themselves far outside their comfort zones to embrace every adventure. Ultimately, theirs is a story of true friendship—a bond forged by sharing beds and backpacks, enduring exotic illnesses, trekking across mountains, and standing by one another through heartaches, whirlwind romances, and everything in the world in between.


Taking a sabbatical and traveling sounds fun.  Any traveling is fun, I can attest to that.  And, taking a year off of work and life could be a fascinating experience.  Jen, Holly and Amanda did just that and traveled the world, seeking adventure.  This memoir is told from their alternating perspectives and narratives.  The book is refreshingly honest and they hold nothing back when it comes to conflicts and issues between them.

There are some fun anecdotes and a lot of drama.  I would have liked less drama and boyfriend issues as I never came to care about these girls and their personal lives, but I was curious about the places they visited.

I also think I would have related more to this if I was a single, 20-something searching for adventure.  I'm a 40-something wife and mother who has traveled a bit and is quite happy with her life as it is. We do plan more traveling as our children get a little older and I love reading about adventures or experiences in places I'd like to visit.  What I didn't like and could have done without was all the details and information about parties and pubs and exploits.  None of that added to my enjoyment of this memoir.

I think fans of books like Eat, Pray, Love will enjoy this.  It wasn't one that particularly resonated with me. However, there are many more, very positive reviews at the links listed below.  Mine seems to be outside the norm, which isn't unusual!

Thanks to Trish at TLC Book Tours for the opportunity to review this book.  You can learn more about The Lost Girls here.  You can purchase your own copy here.  You can see other reviews and tour stops here.

Tuesday, April 26th: Book Journey
Wednesday, April 27th: A Bookish Way of Life
Monday, May 2nd: Book Club Classics!
Wednesday, May 4th: Reading on a Rainy Day
Thursday, May 5th: Write Meg
Tuesday, May 10th: 2 Kids and Tired Book Reviews
Tuesday, May 10th: Books in the City
Wednesday, May 11th: Good Girl Gone Redneck
Thursday, May 12th: My Reading Room
Friday, May 13th: Amused By Books
Monday, May 16th: The House of the Seven Tails
Tuesday, May 17th: Books Like Breathing
Wednesday, May 18th: Steph and Tony Investigate

* *
2/5 Stars

Comments

  1. I understand why this may not have resonated with you, since you are at a very different place in your life than these girls were in theirs. Still, I enjoyed reading your thoughts on this one. Thanks for being on the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this sounds interesting, but I probably wouldn't like the drama either.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment