The Preacher's Bride...Review

About the book:
In 1650s England, a young Puritan maiden is on a mission to save the baby of her newly widowed preacher--whether her assistance is wanted or not. Always ready to help those in need, Elizabeth ignores John's protests of her aid. She's even willing to risk her lone marriage prospect to help the little family.

Yet Elizabeth's new role as nanny takes a dangerous turn when John's boldness from the pulpit makes him a target of political and religious leaders. As the preacher's enemies become desperate to silence him, they draw Elizabeth into a deadly web of deception. Finding herself in more danger than she ever bargained for, she's more determined than ever to save the child--and man--she's come to love.

When Elizabeth agrees to become the housekeeper for a newly widowed preacher, she has no idea what awaits her.  Betrothed to another man she does not love, Elizabeth struggles with new found feelings toward this distant, grieving widower as she not only falls in love with him, but comes to love his children as well.  She soon discovers that she will need to make choices that will anger and hurt some, but are what God wants for her.  And since preaching without a license is illegal, John's enemies soon target Elizabeth and the two of them must face their fears and follow their hearts. 

Historically, I found this a fascinating story.  The Puritans have always intrigued me and I was curious to discover that the author based the novel on the historical life of John Bunyan, author of Pilgrim's Progress, and his wife.

I liked Elizabeth and John.  The protagonists were mean and evil and I was frustrated that there was no accountability or consequences for those who betrayed, assaulted and murdered.  Those characters who were so mean and vindictive, all in the name of God, should have received some punishment or consequence for their actions towards John and Elizabeth.

I admit to becoming tired of the language.  I realize the Puritans had a specific way of speaking, but the whole "Methinks this" and "methinks that" got old really quickly.  Especially since it was only John who spoke that way. 

The story is compelling and I do think this was a great debut novel and I look forward to more from Jody Hedlund.

Thanks to my local library for having a copy I could borrow.  You can purchase your own copy here
.
Read 9/11

* * *
3/5 Stars

Comments

  1. I have a copy of this on my Nook waiting to be read--the historical setting really interests me. :) Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment