Everyday Tidbits...

The first day of school is always so bittersweet. Love being back on a schedule. Miss my boys.

Friday, October 14, 2011

The Alias...Review

About the book:
After a long and difficult divorce, Jacey thinks the worst is over. Little does she know she'll soon be forced to go undercover to protect her family, and in the process, she'll risk losing her identity, her future, and her heart. With a lightning pace, a good dose of humor, and a plot that's full of suspense, this thrilling novel is an edge-of-your-seat read.

When Jacey Grayson is finally able to divorce her abusive husband, she finally believes she will be able to move on with her life.  However, when the FBI shows up and begins asking questions about her ex-husband's mob ties, she has no idea what they're talking about.  Fearing for her life and the life of her son Blaze, Jacey assumes her best friend Melissa's identity and flees to rural Utah.  As Jacey and Blaze are welcomed by Melissa's family, Jacey is torn from the need to lie and protect her son, and the desire to reveal her secrets to the wonderful people who have sheltered them.

The Alias has terrific elements:  a charming hero, a sweet heroine, a precocious child, suspense and intrigue.  I thought that the author covered the issues of spousal abuse well.  Jacey's situation wasn't handled with a heavy hand, nor was it glossed over.   The LDS elements are subtle and woven into the story in a natural, non-preachy way.  And Grant and Helen?  Fantastic characters, and just like everyone's favorite aunt and uncle.

While I liked these characters, I did find some of them to be somewhat one-dimensional, especially the ex-husband and the FBI agents.  I also, personally, hate the endearment "babe".  It always sounds wrong to me and Jacey uses it quite often, especially when referring to her son, Blaze, which is a name that I'm really curious about.  It sounds like the name for a romance novel hero, not a sweet, precocious child.  But, the author seems to like different names and unique spellings and both of those things are certainly more common these days.  I think I'm just old.

Those issues are mine, however, and I think that this is a terrific debut novel from an author with a fantastic potential.  I look forward to more from Mandi Slack.

Thanks to Virtual Book Tours by Tristi Pinkston for the opportunity to review this book.  You can learn more about Mandi Slack here.  You can purchase your own copy here.  The Kindle version is currently $3.99!

Read 10/11

* * *
3/5 Stars

3 comments:

Mandi Tucker Slack said...

Thank you for taking the time to read and review The Alias. Your kind remarks and great feedback meant a lot!

Alice Wills Gold said...

I came over from the Virtual Tour list.

It's funny you are the second reviewer with the beef on the babe thing. I noticed but it didn't bother me as much.

I also don't think that character's name need to fit in the reader's neat little package and so her characters' names didn't bother me in the least.

I loved the book. I gave it 4 stars. It is a quick and enjoyable read. I felt like it had the perfect amount of suspense (a lot) to romance (a little).

RAnn said...

I'm with you on the Babe thing. The day after my c-section with my son, some guy from anesthesiology came by to check on me. He asked me how I felt and when when I said something along the line of awful, he said "Babe, the epidural isn't supposed to take all the pain away, just make things bearable.". He pushed my button (not the one on the epidural)and I felt like ____ so I told him "Don't patronize me; I'm not a child and I most certainly am not your babe". The nurse came in and asked me what I said to him; said he left with his tail between his legs.