Everyday Tidbits...

"I am so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers." - Anne Shirley

Monday, November 7, 2011

(dis)Abilities and the Gospel...Review

About the book:
Each day, parents and Church leaders struggle to teach individuals with special needs. Using real-life stories and a touch of humor, this inspiring book guides you to teach effectively, overcome communication barriers, and build strong relationships with people of all ages with disabilities. Discover each person's ability to learn and grow as you help them feel like a valuable part of your life.

Having a son who has Asperger's, I was very anxious to read (dis)Abilities and the Gospel.  I think this is a long-needed and much welcome resource.  The authors speak from personal experience as each has children with special needs.

The book is one you can read straight through, but it's also one that you can pick up and just search or read a chapter.  General information about special needs as well as specific information about particular diagnoses is included.  I particularly appreciated that there are chapters covering different ages/stages: Primary, Young Men/Young Women/Adults and Families.  There are hints and suggestions for both parents and teachers.  Suggestions on not only how to survive getting through Sacrament Meeting, but how to teach special needs children about prayer, and about Heavenly Father, scouting, etc.

This is a fantastic resource.  I think that every ward should have a copy and every auxiliary president as well as any teacher who has a special needs child in their class should read it.

While written from an LDS perspective, this is a book that is applicable and adaptable to any denomination or  classroom.

Thanks to Mariah at Cedar Fort Publishing for the opportunity to review this book.  You can learn more about Danyelle Ferguson here and Lynn Parsons here.  You can purchase your own copy here.

Read 11/11

* * * * *
5/5 Stars

3 comments:

  1. Having a child with an emotional and mental disability myself, I think this book could be tremendously helpful to me. Thanks for sharing this and for the great review. It sounds like something I should investigate. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Until I read the doctor's review the other day I didn't realize that you too had a son on the spectrum. I just seems all too common these days. I'll have to look for this one too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for the review! I'm glad you enjoyed the book. =)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Let me know what you thought of a particular book. If this is your first time visiting, tell how you found me. Also, please have your email address enabled in your profile. It makes it a lot easier for me to respond to comments!

If you are here simply to spam or leave a link to some obscure place where you sell things, don't bother. Your comment will be deleted.

While I appreciate awards, I no longer accept them, but thank you for thinking of me. Your comments are reward enough!