A Wedding Invitation...Review...DNF

About the book:
After returning home from teaching English at a refugee camp in the Philippines, Samantha Bravencourt enjoys her quiet life working at her mother's clothing boutique in Falls Church, Virginia. When she receives an invitation to a wedding in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, she looks forward to reconnecting with her college friend. Instead her life collides with Carson, a fellow teacher and the man who broke her heart, and a young Amerasian refugee named Lien who needs Samantha and Carson's help to find her mother before Lien's own wedding. When the search for Lien's mother reveals surprising secrets from the past, Samantha must reevaluate her own memories and decide whether to continue to play it safe or take a risk that could change her life.

I really don't like first person and I really don't like first person present tense.  I know there are some who think it more dramatic or real, but it annoys me.  I can often look past it, but not here.  Part of that, too, was that I just couldn't find a reason to keep reading.  I didn't like Samantha, I couldn't believe her relationship with Carson.  There was nothing in this story that compelled me to keep reading.  Fans of Alice J. Wisler will love it, but it wasn't for me.  This is the second of her books that I've tried to read and I think it will be the last.  There are authors you connect with and authors you don't and this is one that just doesn't work for me.

Thanks to Bethany House for the opportunity to review this.  You can learn more about Alice J. Wisler here.

Read 12/11

*
1/5 Stars

Comments

  1. I love first person but I think present tense is extremely difficult to get right. Sorry this didn't work for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cover is really cute. =D I am not much for 1st person stories either, so perhaps I'll skip this one.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment