The Return of Cassandra Todd...Review

About the book:
When the popular girl whose friends bullied him in high school suddenly reenters his life, little son in tow, Turner Caldwell must put the past behind him if they are to survive. 

Turner Caldwell works at a local motel as a handyman while attending college full-time. On his way to class one day, he is shocked to see Cassandra Todd and her young son in town. The sight of her brings back powerful memories of being bullied in high school—she was the popular head cheerleader and he the target of her friends’ mean-spirited pranks. 

When Cassandra and her son check into the motel where he works and she asks for his help in eluding her abusive husband, he finds himself entangled in a dangerous drama that will require him to forgive and draw on every skill he has if they are to survive.

High school doesn't hold many good memories for Turner Caldwell.  He was bullied and tormented and wanted nothing more than to leave those memories behind.  When Cassandra Todd reappears in his life, those memories come back.  But, Turner is a different man now and Cassandra is in trouble.  Her high school jock husband, Brad, is abusive and she has left him, but he has resources to find her.  Drawn to Cassandra and her son, Turner knows he can't turn away from her request for help.  As they find themselves on the run from Brad, they discover a new friendship and special bond.  But, if they survive, Turner wonders if there will be a future for them.

I couldn't put this down.  I loved it.  The characters were terrific, the adventure and drama were suspenseful and kept me turning pages well into the night.  Spousal abuse is becoming more common as a topic for writers and I thought Darrel did a fantastic job here as well as the longer-term effects of bullying. I'd love to see more of Turner and Cassandra and Justin. I really didn't want this book to end.

I read Darrel's first book, The Anniversary Waltz and enjoyed it, so I was thrilled to see that he had a second one out.  And, I loved this one even more than I did The Anniversary Waltz.

Thanks to LeAnn Hamby of Glass Road Media Management for the opportunity to review this book.  You can learn more about Darrel Nelson here. You can purchase your own copy here.

* * * * *
5/5 Stars

Comments

  1. I'm glad to see more issues, like spousal abuse, being addressed in novels. This sounds like a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounded good! Glad to know it is.

    ...I think I preferred the alternate cover though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holly, a big thanks for reviewing my novel. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. The subject of spousal abuse and bullying are ones that we need to address more. Thanks again for your positive, encouraging comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holly, just in case my first comments didn't get through, let me just say how much I appreciate you taking the time to read and review my novel. thank you for your kind, positive comments. I'm glad you liked the novel, and hopefully you'll also like my future one, Following Rain.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment