A Bride Most Begrudging...Review

About the book:
Any ship arriving from England means, good news for Virginia colony farmers. The "tobacco brides" would be on board—eligible women seeking a better life in America, bartered for with barrels of tobacco from the fields.

Drew O'Connor isn't stirred by news of a ship full of brides. Still broken-hearted from the loss of his beloved, he only wants a maid to tend his house and care for his young sister.

What he ends up with is a wife—a feisty redhead who claims she is Lady Constance Morrow, daughter of an Earl, brought to America against her will. And she wants to go straight back to England as soon as she can. She hasn't the foggiest notion how to cook, dares to argue with her poor husband, and spends more time working on mathematical equations than housework. What kind of a wife is that? Drew's Christian forbearance is in for some testing.

Headstrong and intelligent, deeply moral but incredibly enticing, Constance turns what was supposed to be a marriage of convenience into something most inconvenient, indeed.

I found this one at my local used bookstore and the premise sounded good as it was a bit different take on the whole mail order bride thing.  Unfortunately, it just wasn't one for me.  The math obsession was certainly interesting, but the "get married for convenience and then fight our feelings for each other until we finally give in" got old.  I can't say I ever really liked Constance or even Drew for that matter.  I would have preferred a story about Mary, in all honesty.

I love 17th century Virginia as a setting and that part of the book was good.  The rest, unfortunately, was just meh.  Not horrible, but not something I'll re-read.

I read my personal copy.  You can purchase your own copy here.

* * *
3/5 Stars

Comments

  1. Vaguely remember reading this one. From my memory I liked it but do agree these sort of plots do get old sometimes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's too bad it was a letdown, the cover is pretty though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment