The Last Bride...Review

About the book:
Of her Old Order parents' five daughters, Tessie Miller is the last to marry. She has her heart set on Amishman Marcus King, but Tessie's father opposes the match.

Impetuously, Tessie and Marcus elope to the English world, then return to Hickory Hollow to live as singles, trusting they'll convince the Millers to give their love a chance over time. But when the unthinkable happens, Tessie faces the almost-certain censure of the People. Will she find a reason for hope in spite of her desperate plight?

Not understanding the opposition to their marriage, Tessie and Marcus secretly elope and return to Hickory Hollow to live as singles, hoping that Tessie's parents will finally come around.  But, when Tessie discovers her pregnancy and tragedy happens, she is uncertain of what her future will hold.

While I liked Tessie and Marcus and Mandy, I found myself frustrated with Tessie's father Ammon.  I wanted to shake him for not revealing his reasons behind opposing their marriage.  I get that he wanted Tessie to be obedient to him no matter what, but to withhold the reason was simply heartbreaking.  The Amish faith fascinates me and again, I will admit my frustrations with the rigidity of it all.

I enjoyed the side story of Mandy and Sylvan as she struggled to come to terms with her marriage to a man of her father's choosing and not her own.  Their growth together was sweet to watch.

The exploration of genetic diseases was absorbing as I was not aware of the problems that plague many Amish and Mennonite communities due to generations of close intermarrying.  Such a heartbreaking experience for so many.

I nearly always enjoy Beverly Lewis and her Hickory Hollow series is terrific.  I love that these aren't sequels, so you need not read the books in order, but if you have, past characters pop up here and there for a delightful surprise.

Thanks to Bethany House for the opportunity to review this book.  You can learn more about Beverly Lewis here.  You can purchase your own copy here.

Read 4/14

* * * *
4/5 Stars

Comments