Booking Through Thursday...Weeding

Do you ever weed out unwanted books from your library? And if so, what do you do with them?

My husband likes to joke that he came to our marriage with two suitcases and I came with a UHaul. That's not too far from the truth. When we moved to Idaho, I had broken the laws of physics packing our moving van, but it was too loaded down and we needed a second one. The main reason? My books.

I used to keep every book that came into my house. Over the years though, I have gotten to the point where I only keep books that I know I will re-read or that I really liked. I just don't have the room for books I don't love or won't re-read.

I also work at not accepting or buying books I probably won't like. I can usually get a good idea before I accept a book for review if I will like it or not and I just don't accept books I know I will probably hate. Life is too short to read books I don't enjoy.

I loan a lot of books to friends. I've given some away. I have taken some to a used bookstore for credit. Now that I have an e-reader as well, I don't have as many print copies coming in, but it's hard to loan ebooks to friends!

Go here for more BTT posts.

Comments

  1. I have weeded my books but need to do it again, more ruthlessly this time. I give my old books to our indie bookstore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm down to one bookshelf! Of course, I carry my entire library on my Nook these days.

    Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to buy very few books and I'd keep the ones I bought. Then I became a book reviewer and suddenly I had far more than I could keep. Even now, with so many digital ARCs I still get more hard copies than I can keep. I used to swap them, and I still mail some to some friends but mostly they go to work with me and get given away

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment