Weekend Reflections 2/18

Looking outside...it's cloudy and rainy. But, it's not snowing. And we had sunshine this week. One day the sun was shining and it was 37°. I actually had my back door open. It was lovely.

Listening...to peace and quiet. The fireplace is going. 

Loving...that The Artist has a fantastic youth group at church. He's on a campout this weekend. 

Thinking...has the writing of thank you notes and acknowledging wedding or shower gifts gone the way of manners and kindness? I have a list of wedding and shower gifts that I have given over the last two years. I am not even at 50% for having those gifts acknowledged.

The Doctor says that you give a gift from your heart, not to be praised for it and I agree. But, I would like to know that my wedding or shower gift was received. Sometimes I have taken the gift to the reception or shower. Sometimes I have mailed it and have delivery confirmation to tell me that it arrived somewhere, but I'd like to know that the recipients received it as well.

I will concede that gifts or cards can be lost in the mail, because, if it wasn't for the fact that my list includes 6 specific instances, I'd assume that every one of those gifts was lost and not received by the bride and groom. However, the odds of 6 separate gifts going astray is not likely.

So, do I just sit and stew? Or do I ask? And who do I ask? The bride and groom directly or one of their parents? The parents I have asked (and it has been several) just tell me how frustrated they are about it as well and then make excuses that they can't control their children once they're adults, which is true. But by asking, at least I know the gift was received or if it was misdelivered.

And for the record? The gifts that cause the most problems? Amazon registries. Even if you include a personal note, the recipient doesn't always know who the gift was from. I won't give gifts that way any more.

Bridal and baby showers are given for the sole purpose of receiving gifts. Sure, you can say they're given to celebrate the wedding or birth, but we all know it's so the bride or mother-to-be can get gifts.

Wedding invitations are sent to announce a marriage and/or invite people to celebrate with the bride and groom. It is anticipated that invitees will bring/send a gift.

Since you've all pretty much asked for gifts (when the registry or gift preferences are on the invitation/announcement, that's exactly what you've done), the least you can do is send thank you notes.

The Boy wrote out thank you notes for every graduation gift he received. I had the thank you notes from my bridal showers and wedding written within two weeks after our wedding. I had the baby shower thank you notes written within a week, while caring for a newborn, since I was given a baby shower after The Boy was born. I did not get thank you notes sent to everyone who brought us a meal while he was in the hospital after his open-heart surgery and I do regret that. I did send notes on my family's behalf to everyone who brought a meal, sent flowers or made a donation after my dad died. I didn't want my mom to have to worry about doing it.

I'd even accept an email or text. I don't need formal, although hand written notes are lovely to receive.

I'm turning into a grumpy old woman.

In my kitchen...Dinner with friends. Hot chocolate at the moment.

Wearing...black skirt, black tights, black pumps, dark purple turtleneck and black sweater.

Hoping...that the sun comes out.

Reading...Finished The Skeleton Garden by Marty Wingate. Review goes up next week.

Today...went to the temple this morning with The Doctor. The Boy is at work. The Artist is on a scout campout. Dinner with good friends tonight.

Quoting..."No matter what you have, where you're at, you can accomplish any damn thing you want. Use what you have, and take those steps each and every day to get where you want to be. What ever happens along the way, failures, set-backs, injuries, seemingly wasted time, it is what it is! It's all in how we react." -- Steven Conner, Forge Your Potential

Feeling...So energized from this week. I'm not doing the ketogenic weight loss like The Doctor is, but I'm finding what works for me and I'm seeing success. He's had a good week professionally and it's so wonderful to feel hope. Life has its ups and downs, but it really is good.

Planning...the week, looking at appointments and obligations.


Gratitude...for opportunities. The Doctor had the opportunity to do a podcast with a couple of awesome guys from Forge Your Potential. He was able to talk about his weight loss, his experiences, his goals. I loved watching him and even participating a bit. I am grateful that he desires to use his experience and his talents to help other people. He wants to encourage and inspire people to become more than they are, to reach their potential and discover that life is worth living. 


I am grateful for people like Conner and Dustyn who have created an organization to do just that and who provide people opportunities to share their experiences and teach others.

If you want to listen to the podcast, you can do so at Forge Your Potential. I'm a bit biased, but I believe it's worth a listen and I promise that you'll come away inspired and thoughtful.

From my world... 



My Valentine's Day flowers from The Doctor. Still looking pretty.

What about you? What are you reflecting on this week? How has your week gone?

Comments

  1. We still write thank you notes but rarely receive them. I know how you feel but I agree with the Doctor and try not to stew about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm working on being better about the not stewing part...

      Delete

Post a Comment