Childhood Favorites...Catherine Woolley

Childhood favorites. Everyone has a favorite book or author from childhood. A book that touched them or changed them. A book that perhaps initiated their love of reading and put them on the path of libraries and learning.

Childhood Favorites is a monthly series focusing on beloved books from the past. 

Donald Zolan, Quiet Time.

Catherine Woolley was a prolific writer in the 1940s, 50s and 60s. I discovered her Cathy series in the early 1970s when I was in about the 4-5th grade. I checked these books out of our library, repeatedly!


I loved Cathy, who was precocious, who had a vivid imagination and who always considered herself older than she was. She had an annoying little sister who adored and annoyed her. I could relate to Cathy. In many ways, I was Cathy.

What about you? What is one of your childhood favorites?

Comments