Books I Have Forgotten

Each month I revisit some of my past reviews. One of the reasons I started this book blog was to remember what books I have read. My memory isn't the greatest anymore and I found that I would read a book and then not remember if I liked it or what it was even about.

Maybe one of these will prompt you to seek out an older, but amazing book. Or, if you've read one of these and your review was different, please share!

--------------------------------------------

Cold River by Liz Adair
3/5 Stars
12/2011

"Cold River was an entertaining read, but something was just missing for me and I had a hard time taking the premise seriously. I liked it, I didn't love it. There are some great, quirky characters, but I would have liked to see more depth and back story. Liz Adair has created some terrific characters and they deserved to have more fleshed out details in their stories.

I haven't read Liz Adair before, but I would definitely read more of her books in the future. Even with my frustrations with the story, this is a light, entertaining, wholesome read and a nice diversion and one I can easily recommend."

I remember nothing about this book!

A Wedding Invitation by Alice J. Wisler
12/2011
1/5 Stars

"I really don't like first person and I really don't like first person present tense. I know there are some who think it more dramatic or real, but it annoys me. I can often look past it, but not here. Part of that, too, was that I just couldn't find a reason to keep reading. I didn't like Samantha, I couldn't believe her relationship with Carson. There was nothing in this story that compelled me to keep reading. Fans of Alice J. Wisler will love it, but it wasn't for me. This is the second of her books that I've tried to read and I think it will be the last. There are authors you connect with and authors you don't and this is one that just doesn't work for me. "

No memory of this one, but if it was a first person present tense narrative, I am pretty much guaranteed to not like it.

Wings: A Novel of World War II Flygirls by Karl Friedrich
3/5 Stars
12/2011

"While historically, this is a very rich novel, it's not a particularly happy story. Sally's life is hard and it never gets easier, although she's tough and plucky and manages to overcome obstacles and adversity. She meets an a assortment of young women in the WASP program, all of whom have their own secrets and reasons for joining up. Their collective story is fascinating. Moderate profanity and innuendo is noted.

I think Karl Friedrich has done a terrific job of portraying a time in our history that was difficult for all: those who went to war and those who were left behind. Women rose to the occasion and took on many jobs that until the war came, had been male only jobs, including flying military jets. I'm appalled at the treatment these women received at the hand of our government and I'm proud of them for the pathway they paved for future women."

I wish I could remember this book. I love stories about strong women.

--------------------------------------------

What about you? What are some of the books you've read in previous years?

Comments