Books I Have Forgotten

Each month I revisit some of my past reviews. One of the reasons I started this book blog was to remember what books I have read. My memory isn't the greatest anymore and I found that I would read a book and then not remember if I liked it or what it was even about.

Maybe one of these will prompt you to seek out an older, but amazing book. Or, if you've read one of these and your review was different, please share!

--------------------------------------------

The Secret Journal of Brett Colton by Kay Lynn Mangum
4/5 Stars
10/2008

"Kathy Colton doesn't remember her older brother. He was 17 when he died from Leukemia and she was two. But, in her family's eyes, Brett was perfect and could do no wrong: he was the perfect son, the beloved high school football player adored by all. She grows up feeling resentful of this mysterious, perfect person. On her 16th birthday, her mother gives her a letter. Written by Brett to her, it leads her to the journal Brett kept during his illness. Rather than simply recording what happens to him, Brett writes his journal as if he's writing a letter to his beloved little sister.

Kathy was also asked to tutor a football player in English. Jason is a Mormon, and a star quarterback. Hating football because of her brother, Kathy struggles with her burgeoning friendship with Jason. Her mother hates Jason simply because Jason is Mormon. It's during this time that Kathy finds Brett's journal. The journey that Kathy embarks on, as she reads it, changes her life.

Kathy is very much an angry teenage girl: she doesn't feel like her parents understand her, her remaining siblings are significantly older than she is, and they all control her life and, in her mind, have never "gotten over" Brett.

I've never read Kay Lynn Mangum before, but I enjoyed this story. She tells the story from the non-Mormon perspective of someone who is drawn to the faith through her experiences with others. I found it well done and very thought-provoking. I never felt the religious aspects were at all preachy. I enjoyed seeing Kathy change and become a kinder, softer person as she found the LDS faith. It's predictable, but enjoyable, and highly emotional. You'll need a box of kleenex to get through it.

I was surprised at how much I liked this book. I don't normally read teen books."

I don't remember anything about this. I'd like to reread it.

Midwife of the Blue Ridge by Christine Blevins
3/5 Stars
10/2008

"Set in 18th century Scotland, Maggie Duncan is the sole survivor of a horrific massacre. She is taken in by a midwife and learns the woman's healing skills. After her foster mother's death, and seeing her own prospects for a happy life in Scotland dim, Maggie voluntarily goes to Colonial America as an indentured servant. What follows is an adventure beyond any she could have imagined...

This would be classified as a historical romance, and is hard to put down. The history of the early colonists has always fascinated me. And, having my own interest in natural healing and herbs, I found the accounts here fascinating. What herbs and techniques Maggie uses to help with healing and childbirth, and how she brings her Scottish knowledge and blends it with what she learns about healing from the colonists and Indians is interesting...

The story is compelling and grabs your attention quickly. At some points I wished for more details and at other times, I wished for less. Overall an interesting read."

I wish I could remember this one.

Coming Up for Air by Patti Callahan
2/5 Stars
10/2011

"This was one that I really wanted to like. It was meant to be a heartwarming and beautiful novel about a woman searching for truth about her family and discovering what she really wants out of life. Unfortunately, Ellie wasn't someone I really connected with. Her mother was a shrew and her husband was a one-dimensional selfish jerk.

I liked the southern beach setting and I enjoyed Ellie's discovery about her mother's past and how it explained Ellie's relationship with her mother. I just wish I could have liked Ellie. "

Hmm. No recollection whatsoever.

--------------------------------------------

What about you? What are some of the books you've read in previous years?

Comments