Mr. Darcy's Diary...Review

About the book:
Torn between his sense of duty to his family name and his growing passion for Elizabeth Bennet, all he can do is struggle not to fall in love.
Mr. Darcy's Diary presents the story of the unlikely courtship of Elizabeth Bennet and Fitzwilliam Darcy from Darcy's point of view. This graceful imagining and sequel to Price and Prejudice explains Darcy's moodiness and the difficulties of his reluctant relationship as he struggles to avoid falling in love with Miss Bennet. Though seemingly stiff and stubborn at times, Darcy's words prove him also to be quite devoted and endearing - qualities that eventually win over Miss Bennet's heart. This continuation of a classic romantic novel is charming and elegant, much like Darcy himself.

I liked it. And, I'm quite surprised that I liked it. It is an entertaining, creative interpretation of Mr. Darcy.

I found the author's take on Darcy interesting, as it is basically the back story of Pride and Prejudice told from Darcy's viewpoint as he records experiences in his diary. I thought that the author did a credible job of exploring Darcy's thoughts and explaining the reasoning behind many of his decisions and interactions.

I'm a purist and I don't think that sequels to Pride and Prejudice need be attempted. I have yet to find one that is truly worth my time, but this was a light, entertaining diversion.

Read 11/07

Comments

  1. Today the Deseret News had a review of this book. After reading your review I had it on my list of "to read" but the DN talked about Darcy and a fling with a maid at Netherfield and a widow and Mr. Bingley and some references to orgies. http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705310196/Diary-of-Mr-Darcy-not-for-diehard-Austen-fans.html
    Here is the link. She talked like these were small references but it did change my desire to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charmaine,

    The Deseret Book article is referencing a different book than this one. That book is called, "The Private Diary of Mr. Darcy" and it's by Maya Slater. I wouldn't enjoy that one either. I can assure you that this one, "Mr. Darcy's Diary" by Amanda Grange, didn't talk about orgies or affairs with maids. I would have mentioned it!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment