House of Mirth...Review

I had a difficult time getting into this book. It's taken me forever to finish it. I'm a fast reader and this isn't a fast book! I read Edith Wharton in college and enjoyed her immensely, I just didn't enjoy this one as much. The story is lively and interesting: Lily Bart is a woman to whom many of us can relate. She is a poor girl with expensive taste who is still accepted into the monied New York society. She wants a husband, but because of her poor financial decisions, finds herself beholden to those whom she doesn't necessarily like. Wharton captures the time and essence of the society perfectly. And, in many ways, the theme is still relevant today: we care what people think about us and we want what we don't have, including acceptance.

Interesting. A good read.

Thanks to my local library for having a copy I could borrow.  You can purchase your own copy here.

Read 1/08

* * *
3/5 Stars

Comments

  1. I've been wanting to read this one for a long time. It's on my shelf and I'm hoping one of these days, I'll do it. Is it worth the read?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do think it's worth the read. It's certainly interesting. I admit that I enjoyed her book "The Age of Innocence" a lot more (I read it pre-movie release, years ago.)

    I'm not sure why this one dragged on for me. I'd be curious as to what your opinion is after you've read it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment