Carpe Demon...Review

About the book:
Lots of women put their careers aside once the kids come along. Kate Connor, for instance, hasn't hunted a demon in ages.

That must be why she missed the one wandering through the pet food aisle of the San Diablo Wal-Mart. Unfortunately, he managed to catch her attention an hour later-when he crashed into the Connor house, intent on killing her.

Now Kate has to clean up the mess in her kitchen, dispose of a dead demon, and pull together a dinner party that will get her husband elected to County Attorney-all without arousing her family's suspicion. Worse yet, it seems the dead demon didn't come alone...

It's time for Kate Connor to go back to work.


Entertaining horror-lit. Sort of the horror version of chick-lit, I suppose. It's obvious the author drew on the Buffy the Vampire Slayer lore to write this: her hunter/alimentatore relationship is just like the slayer/watcher one, along with the holy water, stakes, demons, research, etc. She takes the premise of what would happen if someone like Buffy grew up, had children and didn't tell her family about her previous life. A little far-fetched, but it worked.

The premise that stay at home moms are super women is fun. I loved the interaction of the play date when Kate wants to take out the stupid Mom who tries to bargain with her daughter to return the toy. Too funny. That she kept everything from her husband was a bit unbelievable, as was his relative stupidity in never questioning her odd behavior.

Light and entertaining. An easy read, and somewhat predictable, but it kept my attention and I wanted to keep reading to find out what happened.

I'm an Angel/Buffy fan, so I enjoyed this little romp into demonland. (I will confess that I prefer the Angel/Cordelia 'ship, which is a much more mature, believable relationship than the wide-eyed crybuffy/moody Angel, but I digress.)

Thanks to my local library for having a copy I could borrow.  You can purchase your own copy here.

Read 3/08

* * *
3/5 Stars

Comments