Summer of the Monkeys...Review

About the book:
The award-winning story of fourteen-year-old Jay Berry Lee, his dog Rowdy, and their unforgettable summer along an old Ozark river. A heartwarming family story, Summer of the Monkeys recalls a time and place when miracles were really the simplest of things. 

This is probably one of my most favorite books from my childhood. I loved it and I read it over and over again. It's better than Where the Red Fern Grows. When Disney came out with a film adaptation, I was thrilled. The book is still so much better than the film though.

It's a wonderful "coming of age" book. Jay Berry Lee wants nothing more than to have his own pony and .22 rifle. The book is about his summer adventure of trying to capture some lost circus monkeys, in order to receive the reward. It's hysterical at times.

Jay's relationship with his twin sister Daisy is heartwarming. The ending is beautiful and each time I read it, I cry. A wonderful book to read aloud to your children.

I read my personal copy that I received as a birthday present from my mom back in 1977, but you can purchase your own here.

Last read???

* * * * *
5/5 Stars

Comments