Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone...Review

About the book:
Harry Potter has never been the star of a Quidditch team, scoring points while riding a broom far above the ground. He knows no spells, has never helped to hatch a dragon, and has never worn a cloak of invisibility.

All he knows is a miserable life with the Dursleys, his horrible aunt and uncle, and their abominable son, Dudley--a great big swollen spoiled bully. Harry's room is a tiny closet at the foot of the stairs, and he hasn't had a birthday party in eleven years.

But all of that is about to change when a mysterious letter arrives by owl messenger: a letter with an invitation to an incredible place that Harry--and anyone who reads about him--will find unforgettable.

For it's there that he finds not only friends, aerial sports, and magic in everything from classes to meals, but a great destiny that's been waiting for him...if Harry can survive the encounter.

I adore this book. I didn't jump on the Potter bandwagon until just before the first movie came out. I do remember seeing things about the rabid fans who dressed in character while waiting in line for the 4th book to come out. My dad really enjoyed them though, so before the first film was released, I read the Sorcerer's Stone, and quickly proceeded through the next available books. I loved it then and after re-reading it for the umpteenth time, I still love it.

Re-reading this first book after finishing the 7th and final book is fun. There are so many little hints and items of interest that, at the first reading, seem so benign and unimportant. But, Rowling had her books plotted so well, that many little things are significant to the series' climax.

Harry is a terrific character. As he discovers the magical world into which he was born, it's simply delightful. The idea that there is a magical world running parallel to our own is brilliant. The details and the lexicon are so clever: muggles, wizards, sorting hats, Quidditch and Voldemort to name a few.

Well-written, this is, quite simply, a charming, delightful book.

I read my personal copy, but you can purchase your own copy here.

Last read 6/08

* * * * *
5/5 Stars

Comments

  1. I love all the HP books. My favorite is Prisoner of Azkaban.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read your blog for a while and really enjoy it. I finally got a blogger accoung so I can comment.
    I loved the HP books. I stopped watching the movies after the 2nd one. How can you put into one movie all the emotions Harry feals into film. The first movie did help me understand Quidditch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura,

    I think you should watch the rest of the films. You would like them. You can't do everything in one movie, but they capture the essence of Harry, so well. And, they're entertaining too!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment