Everyday Tidbits...

Be Kind. Do Good. Love is a Verb.

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Agent in Old Lace...Review

About the book:

Shannon Tanner has it all a perfect family, a perfect job, and a perfect boyfriend. Or so she thinks. What Shannon doesn't know is that her boyfriend, Mark, is stealing money from her father and making millions doing it. When Shannon learns Mark's secret, he turns on her, and Shannon's life abruptly goes from perfect to perilous.

In an effort to protect Shannon, the FBI assigns their only female agent to go undercover as her personal bodyguard. But when the agent is injured the day before the assignment, they turn to the next best thing: their top agent, Rick Holden in a dress.

Life seems safe again for Shannon with Rick by her side and Mark apparently gone for good. Then Shannon gets word that her best friend has been kidnapped, and it becomes clear that Mark isn't going to stop any time soon. Shannon realizes the only way to save herself and her friend and stop Mark once and for all is by sending Rick, her only source of protection, away. Can Rick save Shannon before it's too late?

My mistake was that I started it at bedtime (around 11:30 pm), thinking I'd read a chapter and then go to sleep. I finished it at 1:15 in the morning. It was an easy, fun read. Tristi's sense of humor really comes through in Shannon, with fun references to the Princess Bride and "assault with deadly fruit". You know who the main culprit is, early on in the book and I had the other issue figured out fairly quickly as well, but as Tristi said in an interview, it's as much about the characters as it is about the plot. I agree, this isn't simply a "solve a mystery" book, it's a "solve a mystery with the characters and have some fun along the way" book.

I was surprised that the book wasn't longer, and while I wished for a bit more detail and character development, I really liked Shannon and Rick. I loved the premise of Rick dressing up and doing what was necessary to protect Shannon. Overall, this was simply an entertaining and enthralling book from beginning to end. More a romantic suspense than a scary suspense, this is perfect for a light summer read.

To learn more about Tristi Pinkston and read her hysterical self interview go here. To read another fun interview go here. To purchase the book, which you must do, go here or here.

Read 6/09

* * * *
4/5 Stars

3 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this one before Holly so thanks for the review. It does sound good. I really like the cover too. I've always liked black and white with the splash of red-looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, that sounds so good!!! I love the cover, too. I'll go add this one to my wish list, thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a book that keeps me up late at night. Everyone says reading puts them to sleep, but a great book keeps me awake.

    ReplyDelete