Tuesday Tells It Slant...Review...DNF

About the book:
Tuesday Morning has always been a little different. She's kept a diary since 1989 and while researching for her English Lit thesis in 2003 on Emily Dickinson's transcendental tendencies, finds a poem that will change her life.

Haunted by a past that she considers less than desirable, Tuesday recreates her history with the stroke of a pen. Page by page, year by year, she rewrites her painful memories as she has always fantasized. Bullied and discontented with her body before, she now becomes popular, thin and desired.

Throughout this cleansing process, she consciously decides what to keep and what to toss. She scans her old diary entries for words that trigger painful and unpleasant thoughts: Fat Tuesday (her nickname in high school), Katie (her childhood neighbor turned bully), Writer (her dream of becoming) and Monday (her identical twin sister). Tuesday finds herself in an odd place six years later, unknowingly spending each day of her life as someone that she was never meant to become. With each breath of her new life, Tuesday obliviously loses more of herself.

When a special person of her past returns to her present, Tuesday is forced to choose between the life that she had once desired and her true self. We all have deep secrets and skeletons in our closets. Imagine having the ability to not only change the past, but also completely alter the present and future. How far will Tuesday go to erase her past? And how much of herself will she lose in the process?

I wanted to like this book so much. The premise sounds terrific. Who wouldn't want to go back and change things about their life? Especially some of those painful junior high and high school memories. I cringe at remembering some of mine!

Tuesday's story is told through narration and diary entries. There was some confusion to me though, as the diary entries jumped around in time and it was hard for me to follow. One minute you're in 1998, the next it's 2003 or 2009 and this was distracting to me. I did like Monday and Tuesday Morning, the twin sisters, and I found the play on their names to be clever. Tuesday's voice is one that I think a lot of people will relate to and understand.

Perhaps, if I'd been able to stick it out, the story would have grown on me, but after 70-some pages, I finally had to put it down. Overall, while not a story that I enjoyed, I think that many others will, young adults especially. You can check out Goodreads or Amazon for other, more positive reviews. There is moderate profanity which most people would probably say is realistic to the story and the character.

Thanks to the author for sending me a copy of her book to review. I love meeting fellow Hollys! You can learn more about Holly Christine here. You can purchase your own copy here.

Read 5/10


1/5 Stars


Comments

Post a Comment