Love on Assignment...DNF...Review

About the book:
While Charlotte is focusing on uncovering sordid information on columnist Daniel Wilmot, her heart leads her into uncharted territory.

During the summer of 1900 Charlotte Hale, a native Newporter and secretary for the Rhode Island Reporter, accepts an undercover assignment as a temporary governess to Daniel Wilmont’s children in order to secretly gather evidence against him. As he helps her rediscover God, Charlotte learns that Daniel is an honorable man. They unexpectedly fall in love despite their different backgrounds and social positions. Charlotte soon realizes she must defend Daniel against the forces set against him—a willful student with a romantic crush and the newspaper editor determined to destroy his reputation.

I just hit the jackpot, recently, on books that I couldn't finish.  I guess it's bound to happen occasionally.

I liked the first book in the Ladies of Summerhill series, Love on a Dime.  It was light, but entertaining and I really liked the character of Lilly.  Because of that, when I was offered Love on Assignment for review, I took it, thinking I'd enjoy the story just as much as the first one. I didn't.  I couldn't even finish it.

The whole premise for the story just didn't sit well with me and it was so completely predictable that there was no enjoyment in reading it.  Many stories are predictable, but can still captivate a reader's interest. Here, however, Charlotte wasn't very likeable and I found myself not even caring about her or wanting her to redeem herself.  This one wasn't light, it was shallow.  I wanted to like it, but finally just had to set it aside.  Fans of Cara Lynn James will no doubt love it.  Because I liked Love on a Dime so much, I do look forward to the next one in this series, hoping it will be more like the first and not the second.

This is part of a series, but stands alone just fine.

Thanks to Lisa at TLC Book Tours for the opportunity to review this book.  You can learn more about Cara Lynn James here.  You can purchase your own copy here.  You can see other tour stops and more positive reviews here.

Read 1/11

*
1/5 Stars

Comments

  1. Well, darn it. I'm sorry it wasn't a good match but I do appreciate you giving it a try. Thank you for being on the tour.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment