City of Bones...Review

About the book:
When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know. . . .

Exotic and gritty, exhilarating and utterly gripping, Cassandra Clare's ferociously entertaining fantasy takes readers on a wild ride that they will never want to end.

I went into this book really not knowing anything about it, other than the fact that it was popular and sounded interesting.

I liked the characters well enough but while I found them somewhat flat, there were flashes of humor and brilliance.  Hopefully they will gather depth in future books.  The world that Cassandra Clare tried to create was curious, but nothing really original.  It was like Harry Potter meets Twilight meets Narnia meets Buffy.  Honestly, there was so much detail that I found myself lost at times and I found that I really didn't care.  It was as if she took every imaginary idea she had heard of or had herself and mixed them all together in one weird, convoluted world.

There was a serious ick factor between Jace and Clary that I assume was more for shock value than anything else.  I'm curious to see how it's all handled in later books.

The story is captivating enough that I will read the next one, although mostly out of curiosity because there was nothing stellar or stand out about this one.  I can see how it appeals to teens and young adults.

Thanks to my local library for having a copy I could borrow.  You can purchase your own copy here.

Read 6/12

* * *
3/5 Stars

 

Comments

  1. The author came here and was greeted by a room full of screaming teens. I'm not sure her work is for me but I love the fact that she has teens excited about reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this series. I was hungry for a new read after I finished the Twilight series and this hit the spot. The movie should be out soon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment