Glamorous Illusions...Review

About the book:
It's the summer of 1913 and Cora Kensington's life on the family farm has taken a dark turn. Not only are the crops failing, but someone dear to Cora is failing as well.

One fateful afternoon, a stranger comes to call, and Cora discovers a terrible secret about her past...a secret that will radically change her future.

Cora is invited to take the "Grand Tour" of Europe, a trip intended to finish a person's education and solidify an understanding of refinement and ancient culture.  As she travels from England to France with kin she's never known, Cora encounters the blessings of a family name, as well as the curses.  But when an unbidden love begins to form, she realizes there are far greater challenges ahead...

Copper barons, small town Montana, family secrets and adventure.  Facing the loss of the family farm and the possible death of the man she always believe to be her father, Cora has no idea what is in store for her when her biological father shows up at her home.  Whisked into a new life of luxury, Cora also meets her half-siblings and they are not all welcoming to her.  As her Grand Tour progresses, Cora discovers new people and new places, but more importantly, she discovers her inner strengths and faith in God.

I don't love first person, but I liked Cora and seeing her story unfold.  I loved Will and Pierre and I hope that Vivian redeems herself in later novels.  I love the European setting and reading about places I've been, even if it was in a different era. This was a delightful book and one I was reluctant to put down.

First in the Grand Tour series, I'm glad there are sequels, but I hate having to wait for them.

Thanks to Christen at Litfuse Publicity for the opportunity to review this book.  You can learn more about Lisa T. Bergren here.  You can purchase your own copy here.  You can see other reviews and tour stops here.

Read 5/12

* * * *
4/5

Comments

  1. I really liked this one - it was exquisite, really.

    I don't much like first-person either, Holly but if the story is good, I can get "past" that and I did with this one. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to read this one, but right now I can't get past the cover, the size and the tbr stack. Somehow it just isn't calling my name. I have another week though...

    I hate it when I can't get motivated to read a review book--its one thing to give a bad review to a bad book and yet another to just decide I don't want to read what I've already said I would. Ever happen to you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, once I sat down and started this, I actually ended up liking it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment