Lola's Secret...Review

About the book:
Magic can happen in every family

Nestled in a picturesque corner of southern Australia, the Valley View Motel has been run by the Quinlans for years—and nobody adores the place more than Lola, the family’s lovable and mischievous Irish-born matriarch. So when she insists that her relatives spend their Christmas elsewhere, the close-knit bunch can’t help but be a bit curious. Lola has always had a knack for clever schemes; after all, she once slyly reunited her three feuding granddaughters, whom she nicknamed the Alphabet Sisters. And with the holiday season fast approaching, Lola decides it’s time to stir up some extra excitement.

Plotting in secret and online, Lola thinks it would be fun to invite a select group of strangers to stay at the motel for Christmas. Will these guests become friends, ignite sparks, fall in love? As she counts down the days until their arrival, Lola’s own family dramas threaten to upend her best-laid plans. Yet amid moments of humor, heartache, and unexpected twists of fate, Lola finds that she’s the one who’s in for the biggest surprise of all.

A sweet novel about love and life and family.  Lola Quinlan, the 84 year old family matriarch has sent her family away at Christmas and secretly invited strangers to stay at her motel.  As she plans her secret, she is also drawn into the lives of her family and must listen and counsel and reconcile. The story alternates between Lola's narrative and that of the expected guests.  It was well done especially how the whole plan eventually unfolds.  I did't love the ending, I was a bit disappointed, but the story is well written and lyrical.  I highlighted and underlined as reading caused me to think and reflect, which is the mark of a great novel

My only complaint was the unnecessary profanity.  It never improves a story or conversation.

A sequel to The Alphabet Sisters, this stands alone well.  Reading a series in order always makes for a richer story, but I hadn't read the first one and there was enough back story given here that I didn't feel like I'd missed much.  Perhaps reading the first story would have given me some sympathy toward Geraldine because I really didn't like her!

A charming, thoughtful story.  Loved the Australian setting.

Thanks to the Amazon Vine Program for the opportunity to review this book.  You can learn more about Monica McInerney here.  You can purchase your own copy here.

Read 11/12

* * * *
4/5 Stars

Comments

  1. It does sound like a sweet story, but not one I'm sure I'd be in the mood for right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a great book. Thanks for your thoughts and the review. Hope you'll hop over to my site. I'm holding 4 giveaways right now and I love to see new faces. Have a super weekend!

    Diane :O)
    www.dianeestrella.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one sounds charming, although I totally agree with you about the profanity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like something I will like.

    THANKS for your review...too bad about the profanity.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment