Love in the Balance...Review

About the book:
Handsome Cowboy or Debonair Tycoon.
How's a Girl to Choose?

Molly Lovelace dreams of a life without cares in Lockhart, Texas. She also dreams of handsome wrangler Bailey Garner, her ardent but inconsistent beau. The problem is, with Bailey's poor prospects, she just can't fit the two dreams together.

Then mysterious stranger Edward Pierrepont sweeps into town-and her life-and for the first time Molly wonders if she's met the man who can give her everything. But he won't be in Lockhart long and while it certainly seems like he talks about their glorious future together, she can't quite get Bailey out of her mind.

What's a girl to do with all these decisions when love is in the balance?

I really enjoyed Sixty Acres and a Bride. It was a fantastic debut novel with a spunky heroine and memorable characters.  So, I was really disappointed with the second book, Love in the Balance.  The Garner family returns and we get to know Bailey in this story. Bailey was the only one I remotely liked.  I couldn't find any sympathy for the rest of the cast.  Molly was a spoiled little rich girl, her family was manipulative and controlling. 

Once Molly had her fall from grace and came down into the real world, she started showing more compassion toward other people and I liked that.  The whole Edward character and his situation seemed very contrived and I felt like that storyline was never really resolved or his character explored and developed.

The entire premise/story never seemed to flow smoothly and I really had to force myself to finish it. This is a sequel to Sixty Acres and a Bride, but the story stands alone just fine.  While not my favorite, I do look forward to more from Regina Jennings.

Thanks to Litfuse Publicity for the opportunity to review this book.  You can learn more about Regina Jennings here. You can see other reviews and tour stops here. You can purchase your own copy here .

Read 3/13

* *
2/5 Stars

Comments

  1. I'm sorry that this one didn't live up to expectations, and that it was not that great of a read. It sounds like there was just too much to dislike for you to give it even a a tepid thumbs-up. Here's hoping your next read is better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a similar experience when I read it too. I just couldn't empathize with Molly and I found Bailey to be only somewhat likeable.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment