Chocolate Beach..Review

About the book:
Bri Stone loves life as a laid-back beach girl with a distinguished attorney husband, a surf-ridin' teenage son, and a kicky job as a coastal tour bus host. Still, her mother-in-law and a know-it-all friend think her marriage is lacking. She brushes aside their wayward opinion and focuses her energy on helping her best pal, Gaby, find romance. But when she discovers evidence that maybe her husband has grown tired of her laid-back ways, Bri sets out to win him back--by reinventing herself--and their home! In the midst of her makeover, she vows to uncover the truth about her marriage, her family, and ultimately, about herself.


This popped up as a Kindle freebie and I loved the title and the premise sounded promising. I finished it, but it dragged on and on.

I have such a hard time with limp female characters. I can't even call her the heroine of the story, because there is no story. Bri has a pretty cushy life, but like a toddler, she moves from thing to thing. The minutiae of her life was trite and tiresome. Her husband is busy with his job and because of suggestions and hints from jealous friends, she assumes he doesn't love her anymore. Seriously? It's called, "communication in marriage". Perhaps if she wasn't running around with silly girlfriends and letting herself be pushed into unnecessary redecorating, she'd be available to talk with her husband.

The Christian elements were light and the characterizations shallow. The resolution, and I use the term loosely, came too late. Maybe I'm too old. I'm certainly not trendy and up on pop culture. This book just made me tired. I did appreciate the inclusion of the recipes. Some of those will be fun to try.

Thanks to Amazon for the Kindle freebie. You can learn more about Julie Carobini here. You can grab your own copy here.

Read 12/14

*
1/5 Stars

Comments

  1. Too bad it didn't work out; the cover sure has promise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously. How could I resist a book with that title and that cover?

      Delete
  2. Loved the freshness of your review! Tell it like it is sister!
    Blessings,
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't relish writing negative reviews, but I just couldn't leave this one without saying something! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete

Post a Comment