Books I have forgotten...

Each month I want to revisit some of my past reviews. One of the reasons I started this book blog was to remember what books I have read. My memory isn't the greatest anymore and I would read a book and then not remember if I liked it or what it was even about.

Maybe one of these will prompt you to seek out an older, but amazing book. Or, if you've read one of these and your review was different, please share!

--------------------------------------------

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
3/5 Stars
11/2007

It's an incredibly complex book, but a great psychological study in addition to a novel. It explores the feeling and consequences of abandonment very well. Not for children, but certainly an interesting novel for adults. The Boy read it this year for his AP English class. We had some great discussions about it.

Mr. Darcy's Diary
 by Amanda Grange
11/2007
3/5 Stars

I liked it. And, I'm quite surprised that I liked it. It is an entertaining, creative interpretation of Mr. Darcy. I found the author's take on Darcy interesting, as it is basically the back story of Pride and Prejudice told from Darcy's viewpoint as he records experiences in his diary. I'm a purist and I don't think that sequels to Pride and Prejudice need be attempted. I have yet to find one that is truly worth my time, but this was a light, entertaining diversion.

The Girl with the Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier
5/5 Stars
12/2007

A terrific novel. The detail is fine and the reader is drawn into the story so completely as to be absorbed as paint is on a canvas. I found the novel every bit as captivating as the painting itself. I knew nothing about the time or the place of Delft, and the author explains the social order, the religious conflict and the relationships between master and servant beautifully. Poignantly. It's beautifully written.

What about you? What are some of the books you've read in previous years?

Comments

  1. The Girl with the Pearl Earring is one that I would like to read. Frankenstein was also an interesting read. Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment