Books I Have Forgotten

Each month I revisit some of my past reviews. One of the reasons I started this book blog was to remember what books I have read. My memory isn't the greatest anymore and I found that I would read a book and then not remember if I liked it or what it was even about.

Maybe one of these will prompt you to seek out an older, but amazing book. Or, if you've read one of these and your review was different, please share!

--------------------------------------------

The Last Letter by Kathleen Shoop
1/5 Stars
7/2011

"I know that life on the frontier was difficult and full of harsh realities. The famous blizzard of 1888 is well known and horrific in its aftermath. Yet, with so many stories of the pioneers and those who came west, there is hope amidst trials along with love and joy in family. In this story, there was never any hope. These characters had difficult, horrible lives and experiences that left them bitter and angry. The mother/daughter relationship didn't inspire me, it frustrated me.

Some will find it inspiring that forgiveness and understanding come almost when its too late, but I just found it sad and depressing."

I don't remember anything about this, but it doesn't sound like I missed anything.

Perfectly Invisible by Kristen Billerbeck
7/2011
2/5 Stars

"This is a sequel to Perfectly Dateless which I haven't read. I don't know if it is intended to stand alone, but there are references to past events and I always felt like I was missing something. I never connected with any of the characters and quite frankly, didn't even like them. I couldn't understand Daisy and Claire's friendship, especially since Claire isn't even very nice to Daisy. The book is full of high school drama and the Christian elements are light. Perhaps I'm just too old for Teen/YA books now. I don't know.

Still, I think that fans of Kristin Billerbeck will probably enjoy this, especially if they've read Perfectly Dateless. It was cute, but not one I ultimately enjoyed. "

I have no memory of this one either. Sounds kind of fun, but nothing that was memorable.

Shadows on the Sand by Gayle Roper
4/5 Stars
7/2011

"While they've known each other a long time, Greg and Carrie are drawn to each other when Greg begins helping Carrie attempt to figure out mysteries occurring with her staff. Murder, a mysterious religious cult and twittering senior citizens make for an interesting and entertaining story. Add Greg's and Carrie's respective pasts and baggage and you have Shadows on the Sand. But, put it all together and it works. The plot moves along well and I enjoyed watching Greg and Carrie come to terms with their feelings for each other.

... I did wish for more details/depth about Carrie's relationship with her Mom. I wanted to know what had happened to her Mom during their separation and what turned her around? As this is apparently the first in a series, hopefully we will learn more back story as the series progresses. An entertaining read. I look forward to more from Gayle and Seaside. "

Apparently I enjoyed it. Quite a bit. Wish I could remember.

--------------------------------------------

What about you? What are some of the books you've read in previous years?

Comments

Post a Comment