Childhood Favorites...Queen Zixi of Ix: The Story of the Magic Cloak

Childhood favorites. Everyone has a favorite book or author from childhood. A book that touched them or changed them. A book that perhaps initiated their love of reading and put them on the path of libraries and learning.

Childhood Favorites is a monthly series focusing on beloved books from the past. 


Donald Zolan, Quiet Time.

I am not a fan of The Wizard of Oz. There. I said it. Out loud. I tolerate the film, I never made it through the book. I don't love Wicked (please leave your pitchforks at home) or the later stories written about the Oz characters.

But, a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...no, just kidding. It was a long time ago, but it was only in California, which sometimes does seem like its own galaxy, but I digress.

My third grade teacher read to us each week. And one of the books she read to us was L. Frank Baum's, Queen Zixi of Ix: The Story of the Magic Cloak. It was originally written in 1905. I don't know how many people are even familiar with this book as it has nothing to do with Oz, but I loved it.


It's the story of a magic cloak that grants its wearer one wish. As the cloak passes from person to person, many wishes are made. Some are foolish, some are wise. Some are selfish and some generous. The cloak eventually falls into the hands of two children; an orphaned brother and sister who are living with their aunt in poverty. The resulting tale is engaging and funny and thoughtful.

I finally managed to get my own copy when I was in college.

What about you? What is one of your childhood favorites?

Comments