Books I Have Forgotten

Each month I revisit some of my past reviews. One of the reasons I started this book blog was to remember what books I have read. My memory isn't the greatest anymore and I found that I would read a book and then not remember if I liked it or what it was even about.

Maybe one of these will prompt you to seek out an older, but amazing book. Or, if you've read one of these and your review was different, please share!

--------------------------------------------

Best Staged Plans by Claire Cook
2/5 Stars
7/2011

"Liked it, didn't love it. I never really connected with Sandy and I found her to be selfish, shallow and whiny. All she cared about was herself and selling her house. There was no compassion for her husband or children, only disdain for the fact that they didn't do things the way or as fast as she wanted them to.

The narrative was conversational and the staging tips were fun and added an interesting note. There were moments of laugh out loud funny humor, but overall the story was shallow and felt unfinished. When Sandy meets Naomi, there was an opportunity for added depth, but Sandy simply gives her a makeover and job. Naomi's story is also never actually concluded, but pushed aside for the girlfriends-band-together-to-make-a-man-miserable ending.

A light, fluffy, humorous beach read. Nothing more. Perfect for an afternoon escape where you don't want to concentrate on anything."

Not sure I missed anything by not remembering it. I do like the cover.


Before Versailles 
by Karleen Koen
7/2011
2/5 Stars

"This wasn't an easy book to read. It seems to be well researched and is a fictionalized account about the first 4 months of the reign of King Louis XIV of France and has all the makings of a great novel. It's a story full of mystery, adultery and intrigue and the French court was lavish and decadent.

There is a cast of characters listing in the front, but I still had a hard time keeping people straight and I think it's because the POV didn't stay with one particular person. It was hard to find a connection with either Louise or Louis. Honestly, I ultimately didn't like the characters or the book. But, I can pretty much guarantee that mine will probably be one of the only negative reviews on the tour. This book is one that has received high marks on Goodreads and Amazon and fans of historical fiction should enjoy it."

I remember being disappointed in this one, but I don't remember anything about it.


The Inconvenient Marriage of Charlotte Beck by Kathleen Ybarro
3/5 Stars
7/2011

"I liked it as a light escape read, nothing more. Charlotte annoyed me so much with her over the top antics that I nearly put the book down a couple of times. Yes, there was humorous repartee and I liked Alex, but the whole premise was a stretch for me. The Christian elements are light and while prayer is discussed as important, no one ever actually prays or attends church.

I wish that publishers would indicate when a book is part of a series. This one, apparently, is the third in a trilogy and there were times when I felt lost and didn't understand some references and that was most likely because I haven't read the first two books.

This is one of those novels that ardent fans of historical Christian fiction will love. They will praise it and adore it for the humor and the banter. For me, it was an entertaining diversion, nothing stellar."

Meh.

--------------------------------------------

What about you? What are some of the books you've read in previous years?

Comments