Пятница Ponderings: The Value of a Person

Ponder: to consider something deeply and thoroughly; meditate
Пятница (PYAHT-nee-tsuh): Friday in Russian

-------------------

The Greatest Showman

I'm usually late to the party when it comes to movies. I've seen so much written about The Greatest Showman, but just hadn't gotten around to going. I had a girl's weekend with my cousin and we saw it last Friday night. It was awesome. Even with the crazy girl sitting on the same row, a few seats down, who was high on something and had obviously seen the film enough to sing along.


I loved it. The Doctor and I were out Saturday night to pick up my mom from the airport and three stores later (including what was probably the sketchiest Wal-Mart I've ever been in) we found the soundtrack. The Doctor is allergic to musicals and he loves the soundtrack.

The Artist wanted to see it and so he and I went Monday night. Even with the rude people who sat right in front of us after having cleaned out the concession stand, and rocked their seats and ate loudly, he loved it. (We moved down the row to be away from them.) He reacted to the fun scenes and the heartwarming ones. At one point, he had his hands over his face murmuring, "Don't do it. Don't do it."


We had a great discussion on the way home.

On the way out I asked, "What was your favorite part?" He replied, "All of it. That was awesome. I think it's my new favorite movie of all time." I said, "Even more than your Godzilla and Pacific Rim movies?" His reply? "I think so."


That's huge. But, he also loves music and he is taking Theater this year and is in the school play. And he continued, "That movie made me feel so...I don't know. I haven't felt this way in a long time." As we talked, he was able to vocalize that he felt joy. That the music was so uplifting and happy. He said, "So much of today's music is depressing and about sex and drugs...and not so much about rock and roll actually...but this was happy. So much of the happy music we hear is about Christ and this wasn't religious, but it was happy. It makes me feel like, I don't know." I said, "Like you can do anything?" His eyes lit up and he said, "Yes! That's it!"

He enjoyed most of the music and said, "I really liked, 'This is Me'. That was so good." I asked him what he thought it meant and he said, "That you should be proud of who you are and not try and hide it." We talked and I told him that I thought one of the film's main messages was that every person has value. He agreed.


There is much in this world that is good, but there is also much that isn't. Our youth especially, are bombarded every day with negativity whether it be from social media, music, television, or the school bus.

The Artist is already someone who sees the good in people. He held the door for people leaving the theater, even the rude people we had to move away from. They were still rude and didn't even say, "Thank you" like everyone else did, but he didn't do it for kudos, he did it because it was kind. And he is a considerate person. I am incredibly proud of the man he is becoming.


But, he still has his doubts and insecurities like we all do. So I was grateful to see a film that was inspiring and uplifting and to watch him find the joy in it.

Oh, I get that the real P.T. Barnum was nothing like the man portrayed here. But, honestly? I don't care. We go to the theater, whether it be stage or film, to escape and to be entertained. If we come away inspired and enlightened, it's even better. So, I don't care if this film is biographical or fictional. I care that it had a positive impression on my son.

This week I am grateful for a film that made my son feel good about himself.

Have you seen The Greatest Showman? What did you think?

Comments