Childhood Favorites...First Love from Silhouette

Childhood favorites. Everyone has a favorite book or author from childhood. A book that touched them or changed them. A book that perhaps initiated their love of reading and put them on the path of libraries and learning.

Childhood Favorites is a monthly series focusing on beloved books from the past. 

Donald Zolan, Quiet Time.

In the early 80s, Silhouette came out with their First Love series, which was teen romance. And cheesy teen romance. Looking back now, I just want to cringe. The covers and even the writing. But, I loved reading them because they weren't long. They weren't novels and you didn't have to concentrate to enjoy them. I could buy them from a rack at the grocery store for $1.75 brand new.


Even now, I can look at a cover and have an inkling about the book. I must have reread these so many times. I continued to read romance novels through college because again, they are cheesy, easy and short. And as an English major, I read all the time. So, when I read for pleasure, I wanted something I didn't need to take notes on or write a paper about. Romance novels fit that requirement perfectly.

I don't read many romance novels anymore and I have no idea what happened to my collection of First Love novels. These pictures do bring back some fond memories though.

What about you? What is one of your childhood favorites?

Comments