Childhood Favorites...The Bobbsey Twins

Childhood favorites. Everyone has a favorite book or author from childhood. A book that touched them or changed them. A book that perhaps initiated their love of reading and put them on the path of libraries and learning.

Childhood Favorites is a monthly series focusing on beloved books from the past. 
Telling you about this series will really date me. But I absolutely adored The Bobbsey Twins. I had them all. The purple backed Grosset and Dunlap books. I loved solving mysteries with Bert and Nan and Freddie and Flossie.


I got Bobbsey Twins books in my Christmas stocking and Easter Basket. I got a Bobbsey Twin book for different accomplishments. I got a new one when we would travel in the summer from California to Idaho and I would have it finished before we arrived.


The original books are very dated now. There is always a bully in these stories who gets his due. Many children would not understand references or dialogue. They certainly wouldn't understand why Dinah, the family's Black cook, whose husband Sam was the handyman, lived in the upstairs quarters. But, it is a product of its time. 


I have such fond memories of these books. My children were never interested in them, but they were a happy part of my childhood.

What about you? What is one of your childhood favorites?

Comments