Childhood Favorites...Cathy's Secret Kingdom

Childhood favorites. Everyone has a favorite book or author from childhood. A book that touched them or changed them. A book that perhaps initiated their love of reading and put them on the path of libraries and learning.


Childhood Favorites is a monthly series focusing on beloved books from the past. 

Books stay with you. I remember being in elementary school in the 70s and checking out Cathy's Secret Kingdom by Nancy Faber. It was first published in 1963.


Cathy is a young girl with a great imagination, but her home life is difficult because of her developmentally disabled stepsister. On one of her bike rides, Cathy discovers an old mansion and it becomes her hideaway, her secret kingdom. But, in the deserted mansion, there is one room. A child's room. And while the mansion is dusty and unused, this room is kept clean and immaculate. 

I know that Cathy learns why the room is kept clean and that someone indeed owns the old house. I remember that she learns some lessons and often has good interactions with her stepsister. I don't remember many details, but I vividly remember a scene where Cathy and Anne are coloring. Cathy observes her sister and notes that she draws the blades of grass, one blade at a time, very deliberately.

The story uses language appropriate to the 60s to describe Anne, but I find that I cannot repeat those words here. 

In my research trying to find out more about the book, I discovered an archives New York Times article link included) about the death of Nancy Faber, and it gives a brief explanation of why she included disability in her books. Which, I commend her for. Representation is still a problem and to have Cathy interacting with her sister and learning her needs is fantastic, especially for the 60s.

The story has stayed with me all these years. The mystery of the house. The mystery of why Anne is disabled after an accident. And what I do remember is that Cathy learns lessons about love.

What about you? What is one of your childhood favorites?

Comments