Пятница Ponderings: Impact

Ponder: to consider something deeply and thoroughly; meditate 
Пятница (PYAHT-nee-tsuh): Friday in Russian
-------------------

I went to a funeral last week for a dear friend who died way too young. She was a remarkable woman and her service was lovely. Her family shared memories that were funny, heartwarming and a little irreverent.

The messages left on Facebook posts and her obituary called to mind a woman who loved people and served others. People generally like to remember the deceased as perfect and I so appreciated that her family shared the funny and irreverent stories as well as the perfect ones. 

I have known her since we were babies and I have some cherished memories of the good and funny times.

But, as I sat there, I thought about the impact we have on others. The influence.

This woman touched so many lives because she loved people and she cared about them. She is remembered with love and fondness.

She wasn't one who needed accolades and often served or gave in secret. But she is remembered well.

I sat there and wondered what people might say about me?

I know people who want adulation and acknowledgment and praise. Who want people to tell them they are awesome and amazing. I know others who probably deserve even more adulation and praise and don't seek it. 

I am not comfortable being the center of attention now and I don't need praise or accolades. I don't want them.

Given that I don't want a funeral, it won't matter in that sense. But, I think it's normal to wonder about our impact. Have I helped others? Have I made a difference in this world? Am I remembered as kind or happy or mean and grumpy. Any day, some and even all of those can apply.

My personal belief is that I don't know what happens after this life. I was taught about eternal life as a part of my faith of origin, but my religious beliefs are much different today. 

I have decided that if there is a life after this one, great. I hope I get to read books and snuggle my puppy and my husband forever. But, if there isn't, then either way, I am going to make this life, right now, the best one possible.

I can't make big differences globally or nationally. But, I have a small sphere of influence within my daily life, made up of my family and the people I talk to/interact with every day. I hope that if I can make a difference here, then maybe the ripple effect is real and perhaps proceed further.

I have adopted the mantra of, "Be kind. Do good. Make a difference. Love is a verb."

If anyone is going to say anything about me after I die, I hope it's that I made a difference. I know that my friend certainly did. She lived her life in a joyful tide and carried those around her in the wave.

Comments