Пятница Ponderings: Mindfulness

Ponder: to consider something deeply and thoroughly; meditate 
Пятница (PYAHT-nee-tsuh): Friday in Russian
-------------------
Mindfulness: the quality or state of being conscious or aware of something. 

This year has become my year of discovering me. And as part of that discovery process, I am working on mindfulness.

Being aware. 

For so long, and especially through the last few years living with the pandemic, I have lived life on autopilot. You know how it is right?

You get up, go to work (wherever that is), or take care of your household and family, stop/come home, eat, go to bed. You take no time for yourself. Sometimes you do something fun, most of the time though, you just exist. You eat whatever, sometimes exercise, more often don't. And mindlessly scroll through your phone or let something play on Netflix, if you ever do sit down. You go through the motions.

I'm tired of that. I'm tired of feeling like I'm not the one in control of my life. So, I've started learning about mindfulness.

The Doctor meditates and when he does it regularly, it is really beneficial to his health; mentally and physically. But, I haven't been drawn to traditional meditation. Perhaps at some point in the future I will be. 

What has drawn me in is the idea of Natural Awareness. To just be. In the moment. To stop. To pause. To be deliberate.

I started using a planner that has helped me set some goals and to keep track of my days and what I'm doing. It's been surprisingly helpful. 

I've made time to journal. To stop. To go outside with Cocoa and sit on the porch swing. Sometimes wrapped in a blanket, because it's still cold in Idaho. But I stop. And I sit. And I just am. Even just for a few minutes.

I eat slower. I put down my silverware between bites, and chew longer, and savor what I'm eating. But, I'm aware of taste and texture, rather than just mindlessly shoveling food into my mouth. The sensation of eating, rather than just the action.

These changes are small, but mighty. And they work.

Some days are better than others, but I'm also learning that growth, any growth, is a process. It takes time and there are ups and downs, but it's the doing and the being that are important. I have a note in my planner for one day a few weeks ago that says, "It's ok to not have a mindful day." And that particular day ended up being one that you just have to get through. But every day is a new day. And the next day was better.

So stop. Just pause for a moment. Breathe. Let the sun warm your face. Savor.

And see what happens.

 

Comments