Пятница Ponderings: My Favorite Teacher, the Librarian

Ponder: to consider something deeply and thoroughly; meditate 
Пятница (PYAHT-nee-tsuh): Friday in Russian

-------------------

We often ask the question of people, "Who was your favorite teacher?" And everyone has a favorite or two.

I have had many academic teachers through the years. Through elementary, junior high, high school, and college. Many stand out for different reasons. Some good. Some not so good.

I loved Mr. Willis, my high school humanities teacher. His humor, his love of story and his ability to make you think. There was a reason he was favorite teacher every year. Mrs. Aslin taught me so well about English and grammar in high school, that it prepared me for earning an English degree in college. She had Robert Redford posters on her wall.

And there are others.

But, the teacher I always talk about is Mrs. Lennon, my elementary school librarian. 

I was a child who read. I loved books before I could talk and even read them myself.  My parents fostered that love of books and my Christmas stocking and Easter basket always contained a book. My mother rarely said no when I wanted a book. 

As a kindergartner, I discovered the school library. And, oh what a wonderful place that was. So magical. That old school is long gone and replaced by a subdivision now. (Isn't everything?)

But, I can still picture it. I can see the shelves. The children's section, with its colored rug. The walls, full of shelves. The globe and atlas. The round tables, where I so often sat, reading a book. 

I can picture the shelf where I first found Beverly Cleary and where I checked out Fifteen so many times, I lost count. 

Or the shelf further down the row, where I found A Room for Cathy by Catherine Woolley. How I loved Cathy's imagination.

Mrs. Lennon was kind, and soft-spoken. She smiled. She encouraged. She never told me that I couldn't read a particular book. That a book was too old for me or above my reading level. She let me check out any book I wanted.

Mrs. Lennon introduced this little kindergartner to Corduroy. A book I adored and eventually read to my own children.

In 6th grade, I was able to be an aide and help her and my love for the library deepened. I went on to be a library aide in junior high school.

One year, a teacher complained to my mom that I was reading in class. I had finished all my assignments so I could read. But my teacher said that, to the other kids, it looked like I wasn't doing my work. My incredulous mother replied, "You have a child who wants to read and you want me to stop her? No. I won't do that. Just send her to the library."

So off I went. To my favorite place in the whole school. And Mrs. Lennon welcomed me. And loved me. And let me read.

I wanted to be librarian from those magical experiences. That was always my career goal. I graduated from college with a degree in English and my university discontinued their MLIS program that same year, which was devastating. While, I looked into it elsewhere, the cost and necessary location move seemed out of reach at the time. So, I returned home, where I had a good job, and gave it up. I've considered over the years going back to school to get that MLIS though. Perhaps some day.

Library science has changed so much since I knew Mrs. Lennon in the 1970s. But, the joy of reading and the joy of discovering the magic of a library will always be there for me. I like finding libraries when we travel.

When I was older, pre-driving age, I would ride my bicycle to our public library, often. I vividly remember the day I walked out of the children's section and into the adult section and found Double Date by Rosamond du Jardin.

I still love the library and the ability to reserve a book online if I don't have time to wander the shelves.

I often took our children to the library when they were little. We checked out so many books and read them and loved them. Each boy had his own library book bag and library card. We participated in their summer community programs. They would always get excited when it was time to go back. They too, knew the library was a magical place.

And they learned very early in life that Mom might say no to toys and trinkets at the store, but she always said yes to getting a book. Much like their Grandma did for me.

They both still enjoy reading. The Boy in particular. And we share thoughts about books and text each other when we've finished one. The Artist discovered audio books and graphic novels and those are his preferences for reading. 

I often wondered about Mrs. Lennon over the years and I finally looked for her. I discovered that she passed away this past January, and my heart broke. She was 91. I wish I had reached out earlier to tell her how much I loved her and what a profound influence she had on my life.

What a life and legacy she left. And how grateful I am to have known her and felt her love and influence in my life. I am so very indebted to her for introducing me to the magical wonderful place that is a library.


  

Comments