The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy...#BookReview

About the book:

Seconds before the Earth is demolished to make way for a galactic freeway, Arthur Dent is plucked off the planet by his friend Ford Prefect, a researcher for the revised edition of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy who, for the last fifteen years, has been posing as an out-of-work actor. 

Together this dynamic pair begin a journey through space aided by quotes from The Hitchhiker's Guide ("A towel is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have") and a galaxy-full of fellow travelers: Zaphod Beeblebrox--the two-headed, three-armed ex-hippie and totally out-to-lunch president of the galaxy; Trillian, Zaphod's girlfriend (formally Tricia McMillan), whom Arthur tried to pick up at a cocktail party once upon a time zone; Marvin, a paranoid, brilliant, and chronically depressed robot; Veet Voojagig, a former graduate student who is obsessed with the disappearance of all the ballpoint pens he bought over the years. 

Where are these pens? Why are we born? Why do we die? Why do we spend so much time between wearing digital watches? For all the answers stick your thumb to the stars. And don't forget to bring a towel!

This is one of those books where I ask myself, "Why did it take me so long to read it?" Oh my goodness. I laughed. I laughed so much.

The Boy and I share what we're reading with each other and I received a text from him that said, "This is my current read. I know it's one of Dad's favorites. It's definitely a funky book but it's very fun." And then a few minutes later, "Ok, I'm halfway through, what in the LSD fever dream is this book? It's funny, but it's whack!"

So, having finished my last book, I decided to read along with him. I finished this book in a couple of hours. 

It was fun to finally understand the context of many pop culture references I recognized. It was even more fun to realize where so many references and comments The Doctor has made over the years come from. I now understand who Slartibartfast and Zaphod Beeblebrox are. 

The story is whack. Mad. Quirky. Absurd. Off-the-wall and random. So British. And yet, if you choose, you can draw parallels to politics and people and life. Or you can just simply roll with it, which is probably best. You might crash into some walls, or pop out of an airlock into space and hope you get picked up within 30 seconds. But you'll have a hell of a good time.

As we were discussing the book, The Doctor told me that he sees Adams as kind of like Pratchett in that there is a narrow percentage of people that it absolutely hits. If you're in that percentage, it's incredible. If not, the most you'll think is, "that was funny, but I don't understand all the hype". And I can see his point. The Boy got it, too. He loved the book as well.

It's easy to see how Douglas Adams really influenced a generation of science fiction writers and creators. 

I can see why people reread this book. I know I will. I loved it. I loved it so much I ordered the next two books.

Do you know where your towel is? We gave The Boy a towel that said 42 and Don't Panic! on it for his birthday. Because, a towel, "is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have." 

And Don't Panic!

Read 7/24

* * * * *
5/5 Stars

Comments