The Friday Night Knitting Club...Review

About the book:
A charming and moving novel about female friendship and the experiences that knit us together-even when we least expect it.

Walker and Daughter is Georgia Walker's little yarn shop, tucked into a quiet storefront on Manhattan's Upper West Side. The Friday Night Knitting Club was started by some of Georgia's regulars, who gather once a week to work on their latest projects and to chat-and occasionally clash-over their stories of love, life, and everything in between.

Georgia has her hands full, juggling the demands of running the store and raising her spunky teen daughter, Dakota, by herself. Thank goodness for Anita, her mentor and dear friend, and the rest of the members of the knitting club-who are just as varied as the skeins of yarn in the shop's bins. There's Peri, a prelaw student turned handbag designer; Darwin, a somewhat aloof feminist grad student; and Lucie, a petite, quiet woman who's harboring some secrets of her own.

However, unexpected changes soon throw these women's lives into disarray, and the shop's comfortable world gets shaken up like a snow globe. James, Georgia's ex, decides that he wants to play a larger role in Dakota's life-and possibly Georgia's as well. Cat, a former friend from high school, returns to New York as a rich Park Avenue wife and uneasily renews her old bond with Georgia. Meanwhile, Anita must confront her growing (and reciprocated) feelings for Marty, the kind neighborhood deli owner. And when the unthinkable happens, they realize what they've created: not just a knitting club, but a sisterhood.

I have mixed feelings. I liked it: I didn't love it. I enjoyed it: I was disappointed.

Georgia Walker is a single mother, raising her pre-teen daughter and supporting herself through her knitting/yard store. Lost and lonely customers begin gathering each Friday night to knit, and through that, come together as friends. Predictably, each one finds herself by the end of the book.

Set in New York City, the "F" word is sprinkled through-out and there is a distinct lack of morality. The characters here are diverse; pretty much every ethnicity is represented, and all, in some way, are misfits. However, Georgia is likeable. You really root for her and Dakota and James.

The idea of women coming together though knitting echoes the Elm Creek Quilter novels from Jennifer Chiaverini. I admit I enjoyed those novels much more than this one. It might be that the book was due back to the library and so I rushed through it. I'm also re-reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and I found myself wanting this book to be finished so that I could get back to Harry.

Thanks to my local library for having a copy I could borrow.  You can purchase your own copy here.

Read 7/08

* * 
2/5 Stars

Comments

  1. This was on my TBR list. Thanks for the heads up with swearing. I too like Elm Creek series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review. I appreciate a forewarning on language, etc .

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment